Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipe of the Week, December 30: Hoppin' John

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

One of the more popular ways of cooking black-eyed peas is the dish called "Hoppin' John", a traditional African-American dish served on New Year's day for good luck.

There are almost as many theories as to how Hoppin' John got its name as there are ways to cook the dish. One story attributes the name to the custom of inviting guests to eat with, "Hop in, John." Another suggestion is that it is derived from an old ritual on New Year's Day in which the children of the house hopped once around the table before eating the dish. Whatever its origin, it was definitely a staple for many in the early South, and remains an important dish today.

Hoppin' John

1 pound dried black-eyed peas

1 pound spicy bulk pork sausage

1 large onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 quarts water

2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes

1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground white pepper

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

4 cups beef broth, homemade or canned

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

3 cups long-grained rice

garnish if desired: diced tomatoes and sliced green onion.

In a large saucepan, bring the peas and water to a boil over high heat. Boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat, cover tightly, and let stand for 1 hour. (Or in a large bowl, combine the peas with enough cold water to cover by 3 inches, and let stand overnight at room temperature.) Drain well.

In a 5-quart Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat, stirring often to break up the sausage, until it loses its raw look, about 10 minutes. Pour off all excess fat.

Add the drained peas, water, and red and white peppers. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, until the peas are tender, about 1 1/4 hours. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.

Meanwhile, bring the beef broth, butter, and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the rice, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff the rice and transfer it to a deep serving bowl.

Pour the peas over the rice, mix well, garnish if desired and serve immediately.

Do you make Hoppin John for New Year's Day? If so, how do you make it?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KamsOne
by Jen on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I've never had it before and didn't realize it was a New Year's dish.  Maybe I'll try it this year.

Kimberly954
by Kim on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM

never heard of it before but it looks good.

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM

interesting

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM

interesting recipe

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

sounds interesting

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I've never had it before.

KamsOne
by Jen on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I was going to make this yesterday for New Year's day but didn't have a few things that I needed so I made it tonight instead.  Wow, this recipe makes a TON of food!!  I would suggest either halving the recipe or inviting lots of people over to eat with you!!  lol.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I have not made it myself....the recipe you posted looks very good:)

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Yes, it does make a lot, meant for sharing with family or friends. It freezes really well, or you could halve the recipe. I hope you liked it.

Quoting KamsOne:

I was going to make this yesterday for New Year's day but didn't have a few things that I needed so I made it tonight instead.  Wow, this recipe makes a TON of food!!  I would suggest either halving the recipe or inviting lots of people over to eat with you!!  lol.

KamsOne
by Jen on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We enjoyed it.  It is not something I would make often but good on occasion.  I will be sharing my leftovers tonight with my cousin and her family.  :)

Quoting SweetLuci:

Yes, it does make a lot, meant for sharing with family or friends. It freezes really well, or you could halve the recipe. I hope you liked it.

Quoting KamsOne:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)