Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

What are some good, easy recipes for kids to make?

My dd is 8 and has made it her resolution to cook dinner for the family once a week this year.  She got a kids cookbook for Christmas but it doesn't have too many recipes in it that we would all eat.

This week she is making turkey club sandwiches.  :)

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (21-27):
md_1015
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
The first meal sd cooked for us was grilled cheese and soup.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

What a cute idea! What about pancakes? Those are pretty simple

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Bubble Up Pizza from Plain Chicken

2 cans (12oz) golden layer buttermilk biscuits (Pillsbury Grands! Jr)
1 jar (15oz) pizza sauce  *I used this easy homemade sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese
your favorite pizza toppings - cooked sausage, turkey pepperoni, peppers, mushrooms *we had mini turkey pepperoni and Canadian bacon
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cut biscuits into quarters and place in medium bowl.  Toss biscuits with pizza sauce.  Add pizza topping and half of the cheese.  Toss until well blended.  Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Pour biscuit mixture into pan and top with remaining cheese.  Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, or until biscuits are done.
JLCrunch
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I do the same thing with my 6 year old nephew. Occassionally we change it up and roll up turkey hot dogs in the crescent rolls. Yum.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Ham and Cheese Roll-ups

1 package (4) refrigerated crescent rolls
prepared mustard
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham

Unroll crescent rolls. Tear along perforations. Place 4 triangles on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread lightly with mustard. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 tablespoon cooked ham. Starting at large end, roll dough toward point. Fold ends in slightly to form "horns." Bake in a 375 degrees. oven for 11 to 13 minutes or till golden.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Like this great idea!

Quoting SweetLuci:

How about this:

Meatball Subs

1 bag small frozen meatballs
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
hot dog buns
shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat meatballs in sauce over medium-low heat until heated through.  Spoon into hot dog buns, sprinkle cheese on top--pop into microwave for 30 seconds or until cheese is melted.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I'm thinking back to when dgd was 8 and started wanting to do more than help me cook. So I told her we would switch roles. I would be her assistant, and she would be the main cook. I told her she had to be in charge and tell me what to do, like hand her something (she really liked doing that, lol) That way she felt she was in charge, but when it came to cutting something she didn't feel comfortable with or an instruction in a recipe that she didn't understand, or  taking something out of the oven, she could tell me without feeling like I was in charge.  

Quoting KamsOne:

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!  These all sound yummy and easy enough for her to do.  THANKS!

KamsOne
by Jen on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM

This is a great idea!  That's kind of what I did tonight.  I cooked the bacon for her because she was afraid of the splatter.  But I let her do everything else and only helped when she asked me to.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I'm thinking back to when dgd was 8 and started wanting to do more than help me cook. So I told her we would switch roles. I would be her assistant, and she would be the main cook. I told her she had to be in charge and tell me what to do, like hand her something (she really liked doing that, lol) That way she felt she was in charge, but when it came to cutting something she didn't feel comfortable with or an instruction in a recipe that she didn't understand, or  taking something out of the oven, she could tell me without feeling like I was in charge.  

Quoting KamsOne:

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!  These all sound yummy and easy enough for her to do.  THANKS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)