- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter - room temp
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs - room temp
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats - not instant
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrots - about 3 large carrots
- 1 cup raisins - optional (i hate raisins so i omitted)
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, silpats, or simply spray with cooking spray.
In a mixer, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 - 4 minutes in a stand mixer). Add eggs and vanilla and beat on medium until well combined.
Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger; whisk to combine. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; mix on low until just combined. Do not overmix!
Mix in oats, carrots, raisins (if using) and walnuts. Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Shape tablespoons of dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. I flattened mine a bit and sprinkled a bit of sugar on the tops before putting in the oven.
Bake until browned and crisp around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes (mine took 11 minutes so check early) rotating halfway through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
from Butter Lane Cupcakes
- 2 stick of butter, at room temp
- 16 oz cream cheese, at room temp
- 8 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 splash vanilla extract
Combine butter and cream cheese in mixing bowl and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. While mixing at a low speed, add sugar. Once combine, add a splash of vanilla extract and mix on a medium to high speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth and fully combined. Frost and enjoy!