Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pounded Biscuits

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 12 Replies

1 quart flour

2 tsp. salt

1/2 tea cup soften butter

milk

Mix salt and flour; work in butter and add enough milk to make a stiff dough. Knead a little, then whack it with a rolling pin for about 15 minutes. Roll out, cut small, and tick with a fork. Put on a grease baking sheet and bake in a hot oven until lightly browned.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

This might sound a little odd but it is a recipe of my great-grandmother's. I copied it the way it was written. 

rmp
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

what oven temperature?

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Quoting rmp:

what oven temperature?

I have no idea. It says hot so maybe 375* or more. This recipe has been around for years; long before they had the temperature in ovens regulated. 

KaylaMillar
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Sounds good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I love old recipes, they are so interesting to decipher.

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Quoting periwinkle163:

I love old recipes, they are so interesting to decipher.

I have some in the oven now. We'll see how they come out before I post what I did. 

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I just pulled some out of the oven. Here's what I used so maybe this might help.

4 cups flour

2 tsp. salt

1 stick butter

Just sly of 2 cups milk

I combined all the ingredients and mixed until the dough was stiff. Then I seprated the dough into two balls and then started to whack each ball (which I did for about 10 minutes). Then I rolled out one ball and used the rim of a canning jar to cut the dough into a circle. I did experiment with different thickness of the biscuits. Then I baked the biscuits at 400* until lightly browned. 

Now these biscuits don't raise and are dense but they are suppose to be. 

Quoting OliviaW.:

1 quart flour

2 tsp. salt

milk

Mix salt and flour; work in butter and add enough milk to make a stiff dough. Knead a little, then whack it with a rolling pin for about 15 minutes. Roll out, cut small, and tick with a fork. Put on a grease baking sheet and bake in a hot oven until lightly browned.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Thanks...love good biscuits

Quoting OliviaW.:

I just pulled some out of the oven. Here's what I used so maybe this might help.

4 cups flour

2 tsp. salt

1 stick butter

Just sly of 2 cups milk

I combined all the ingredients and mixed until the dough was stiff. Then I seprated the dough into two balls and then started to whack each ball (which I did for about 10 minutes). Then I rolled out one ball and used the rim of a canning jar to cut the dough into a circle. I did experiment with different thickness of the biscuits. Then I baked the biscuits at 400* until lightly browned. 

Now these biscuits don't raise and are dense but they are suppose to be. 

Quoting OliviaW.:

1 quart flour

2 tsp. salt

milk

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM

interesting! i love old recipes as well.....they always sound like this!

mylilprincesses
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM

love old recipes! TFS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)