Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms that need to stretch that dollar.....

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

I bought an 18lb ham yesterday for $14. With that I served it for dinner last night with mashed potatoes and asparagus. And then I had a TON leftover. Today i am making ham and potato soup, double batch of ham and beans which i will serve with cornbread, and i cut up a ton of ham into cubes for pizzas later, and sliced some up for my husband for breakfast this week. That was definitely inexpensive for all those meals! 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimberly954
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM

For the ham and potato soup, i am using these ingredients, plus a carrot, and throwing it in the crockpot.
1 small onion, chopped
About 2 cups of thick sliced ham, cubed (I used about 4-5 slices.)
3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cups of chicken or turkey broth

tools4mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Sounds yummy! Nice savings too!

KamsOne
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Wow!  That's a great deal on ham!

KamsOne
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I loooove ham and potato soup by the way.  :)

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I have never made this kind of soup before. I just took a taste and its pretty yummy.

Quoting KamsOne:

mylilprincesses
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM

sounds pretty awesome!

ZsMommy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I make ham & potato-but  cook my stock from the bone and scraps.

We just picked up a 7lb ham that was $3 off at Aldi's this weekend so came to $5 and change

Quoting Kimberly954:

I have never made this kind of soup before. I just took a taste and its pretty yummy.

Quoting KamsOne:

starlight1968
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM

what a great deal!  I wish dh liked it, I'd be in heaven (i love ham/bean soup)

Lorena
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
What a deal! We always make our ham into several meals.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM

:)

I did the same thing. I also add ham to my potato soup. I take cream, milk, potatoes that are cubed, ham, bacon, onions. and some seasoning.  < Turns out really good. I also cube some ham for salads too. Nice to add some meat to a salad, and have a nutritious lunch or quick meal.

I do the same with a pork loin. Only I freeze those into meal sized. I'll have to take a picture next time I do that. 

Then depending on how large a loin it is. I get a roast and about 7 meals of pork chops. (For 2 people) The roast usually lasts about 3 meals itself. 

I do the same with a large beef roast... Then I get sandwiches, a roast. Plus other things. Those last about 4-5 meals. Plus snacks. The sandwiches -are cold roast beef, mustard... on bread. Thick slices. Or I chop it up really small. 

Oh - pizza from scratch. Takes little time and tastes delicious, and saves money. Costs less than eating out and about the same as a frozen pizza, only it's fresh. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)