Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Teen son needs to eat more fruits and vegetables

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM
  • 20 Replies

I need ideas to get my son to eat more fruit and vegetable.  trying to do the 5 fruits and veg. per day idea.

Please help!!  he has been so picky but he wants to try

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Have you thought about smoothies perhaps?  You can toss almost any fruit or veggie in one.  When i dont feel like eating  I drink V8 original juice or make smoothies.

KerryK
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:54 AM
We do smoothies and juicing to boost our fruit and veggie intake. My daughter is extremely picky too, she is 17. I try to buy any produce that she requests, but out can get a little pricey since she wants fresh pineapple, pomegranates, asparagus, you know the expensive and out of season stuff! So I can do smoothies with frozen fruits and juice carrots and cucumbers and kale with apple and pear and maybe add one "special" thing to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamsOne
by Jen on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Try to keep some cut up veggies in the fridge.  If there is no prep work involved he might be more apt to snack on them. 

Same with fruit, cut some up and put the bowl out.  My family won't eat fruit because of the prep work.  But if I cut it up and put it out it disappears quickly.

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Smoothies are a good way to hide things. Just add whatever fruit plus some veggies you want and use V8 juice and blend. 

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Smoothies or juices (V8 fusion is good for having many servings of fruit/veg in one drink).

You can add veggies to marinara sauces (cut them really small and cook them down and you'd never know it was in there).

Add fruit to yogurt (refrigerated or frozen).

Make fruit kabobs and drizzle chocolate over them.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, dips! Fresh veggies with dip or fresh fruit with fruit dip.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bertieb
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM

My SS only eats corn and potatoes, occasionally broccoli. I get so tired of having these sides every meal and having four sides just to save the rest of us from the same old thing every time. My own children are great vegetable eaters, they eat everything from asparagus to peas! SS doesn't really snack and wouldn't do smoothies. He doesn't eat desserts I make either, would rather grab a couple Little Debbie's or Poptarts.

LittlePeeps245
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM

They actually have cookbooks, or now a day's just google, recipes that when baking cupcakes, cakes, cookies, ect., you supplement certain ingredients with fruits or veggies! My kids have NEVER realized the difference! Here's a recipe i've used! Directions & Ingredients are at the bottom, ENJOY!

• 1 1/4 cups Imperial Margarine
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp each baking powder, baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup each grated zucchini, grated carrots
  • 1 can prepared chocolate frosting

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).

Beat together the margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and creamy. Add the yogurt and cocoa powder and beat until smooth. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix just until combined. Fold in the zucchini and carrots. Place 20 paper liners into cupcake pans. Fill to the top of the liners.

Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a centre comes out clean. Let cool then frost with chocolate icing.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I usually have fresh, washed fruit in the fridge, and salad ready to eat. I have started serving a salad with dinner every night.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM

what i have been doing is.. when my girls want snacks.. just give them fruits.. and for dinner the veggies they like. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN