Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Crab Chowder

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM
  • 12 Replies

I got this recipe when I was in St. Maarten from the chef at Pineapple Pete's, a great little island restaurant. It is really delicious. I like to add finely diced potatoes when you add the broth, to make it a chowder, but it's good either way.

Crab Soup
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups clam juice
2 cups chicken broth
1 (10 ounce) package frozen white corn
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 cups heavy cream
1 pound lump crabmeat, drained
4 green onions, chopped
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is tender. Whisk in flour, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in clam juice and chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Mix in corn, and season with salt, white pepper, thyme, and cayenne. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

Stir in cream, crabmeat, and green onions. Heat through, but do not boil once the cream has been added.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Tyfs. My dh might like this.

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Crabmeat isnt something thats inexpensive or abundant in my area. Bummed because I LOVE stone crab claws! I used to get them a lot in Fort Lauderdale. Speaking of......Luci, send your son to Penn-Dutch (its a meat market/small grocery). They have the BEST and cheapest meats!! (Thats where i used to get my claws.) And ANY kind of meat you could ever want. Its real close to Bass Pro. You can see if from the highway.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM

He's a big fan, and took me there. It's great. We take a cooler with us when we go down there so we can bring back a load of goodies. Everything was relatively cheap and really good. I love stone crab too and it's really expensive where I live, isn't caught here.  When I lived near St. Petersburg, we used to dive for stone crab that were in the rocks supports of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. We catch blue crab in traps off our dock, so we always have a lot of that in the freezer.

Quoting Kimberly954:

Crabmeat isnt something thats inexpensive or abundant in my area. Bummed because I LOVE stone crab claws! I used to get them a lot in Fort Lauderdale. Speaking of......Luci, send your son to Penn-Dutch (its a meat market/small grocery). They have the BEST and cheapest meats!! (Thats where i used to get my claws.) And ANY kind of meat you could ever want. Its real close to Bass Pro. You can see if from the highway.

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Hm...didnt know you could dive for crab here. I might have to mention that one to DH. I am REALLY close to the skyway. It takes me 5-10 minutes to get to the south side of the bridge. I dont dive (or even boat for that matter) but he does.

Quoting SweetLuci:

He's a big fan, and took me there. It's great. We take a cooler with us when we go down there so we can bring back a load of goodies. Everything was relatively cheap and really good. I love stone crab too and it's really expensive where I live, isn't caught here.  When I lived near St. Petersburg, we used to dive for stone crab that were in the rocks supports of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. We catch blue crab in traps off our dock, so we always have a lot of that in the freezer.

Quoting Kimberly954:

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM

It's been quite a few years since we lived there. We were on the North side. The water doesn't have much visibility, and the water is rough there, and you have to reach back in among the rocks to grab them and be quick before they grab you with a claw, but it's well worth it.

Quoting Kimberly954:

Hm...didnt know you could dive for crab here. I might have to mention that one to DH. I am REALLY close to the skyway. It takes me 5-10 minutes to get to the south side of the bridge. I dont dive (or even boat for that matter) but he does.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting Kimberly954:

caro100
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

That sounds really good.  I have trouble finding lump crab meat here in Mo. though.  I have wanted to make homemad crab cakes, but like I said, can't ever find it. frustrated

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Yum!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AimSnapHolz
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:21 AM

YUM! Can't wait to try that one!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I just found out from my son that you can't dive right by the bridge anymore (security changes after 9-11) but you can by the nearby pilings. They're still in season, but he said that there was a big upsurge in the octopus population this year, and they eat crab, so there really aren't many this year.

Quoting SweetLuci:

It's been quite a few years since we lived there. We were on the North side. The water doesn't have much visibility, and the water is rough there, and you have to reach back in among the rocks to grab them and be quick before they grab you with a claw, but it's well worth it.

Quoting Kimberly954:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting Kimberly954:

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

That sounds like a solid recipe!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)