Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Going Dairy Free

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

My new baby has colic so I am going to try to go dairy free. I had done it before but at the time I lived close to whole foods and was able to get vegan cheeses and butter. And also at that time I wasnt concerned with soy so I used soy milk in cooking. But I hear babies shouldnt have that much soy and I cant readily get vegan cheeses and butter. So I am taking suggestions on substitutions!! Anyone else dairy free??

Side note: I dont eat a TON of dairy right now anyways because I am lactose intollerant but I am able to eat a lactaid pill and be ok. But apparently its the protein in milk and not the lactose that bothers the babies.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM

These zucchini brownies have no dairy

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 11 baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
2. In a stand mixer, combine sugar, canola oil, and flour, combine until mixture resembles wet sand. While mixing, on low, add cocoa, zucchini, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips
3. Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the brownies are set.
4. Cool on a wire rack. Cut brownies into squares and serve.
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Yes soy can made them constipated..so try to avoid that as much as possible.. i would use more almond milk.. which is suppose to be alot healthier anyways..

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Soy also has a lot of added hormones....and if i remember correctly its worse for boys because its like estrogen or something like that. Anyways, I just know soy is bad for babies.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Yes soy can made them constipated..so try to avoid that as much as possible.. i would use more almond milk.. which is suppose to be alot healthier anyways..

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

chocolate chips are actually a dairy product. I would have to omit that.

Quoting SweetLuci:

These zucchini brownies have no dairy

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 11 baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
2. In a stand mixer, combine sugar, canola oil, and flour, combine until mixture resembles wet sand. While mixing, on low, add cocoa, zucchini, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips
3. Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the brownies are set.
4. Cool on a wire rack. Cut brownies into squares and serve.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM

This site is AWESOME for dairy free/soy free recipes!!

http://realsustenance.com/

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Bump. I don't have any suggestions! I hope you can get it figured out! Colicky babies are no fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AimSnapHolz
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:26 AM

How about rice or almond milk instead of soy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)