Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

So, I picked up an 18lb turkey... Now what? (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM
  • 23 Replies

Okay. Went to Walmart today and they had frozen turkeys on sale for 88 cents a pound. So, of course, I picked up an 18 pound Butterball turkey for less than $14. Great deal, I figure - that's cheaper than they were at Christmas! I currently have it in the fridge to thaw, and I know that'll take a couple of days.

I know that I can make a LOT of meals with this turkey... but I don't know where to start, really.

To start with, how does one cook an 18lb turkey. I don't have a big roasting pan so should I buy one at the store? Will the cheapo foil pans they sell at the dollar store work?

When I get all that, what's the best way to cook the turkey that will allow me to use the meat for many purposes? I obviously don't want to dump BBQ sauce on the entire thing or something. I have NO experience in cooking a turkey so I'll need a complete step-by-step!

Once I get the turkey cooked, does anyone have any good recipes for cooked turkey? I would love to find things that I can prepare and freeze. I know I can do that with casseroles, turkey pot pie, and turkey noodle soup (I think I would probably wanna skip the noodles until it's time to eat it, but I'm not sure). I don't actually know how to make any of those things, though, haha!

So. Any ideas, O Awesome Ladies of Cafemom?

If it helps, neither SO nor I are really picky about food, and if there's something we don't like we can either substitute or skip the recipes altogether. I only have DS part time, so his pickiness isn't really an issue when it comes to this.

Show me what ya got! And thanks in advance!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mbc324
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I add about 6 cups of water in the roasting pan with the turkey, I make gravy with the turkey juices(there will be  alot) and use the rest in the soup. I boil the turkey bones after cleaning most of the meat off and a couple stalks of celery . Use turkey juice and water to boil bones in, enough to cover bones. Boil for about an hour, remove bones, add cut up turkey. I make home made noodles, you can use egg noodles. I like to cook my noodles in the soup, thickens it a bit. We like turkey and gravy over biscuits, corn and a can of jelled cranberries(refrigerated). You can make turkey salad for sandwiches, cut up turkey into small pieces add chopped celery & onion, salt & pepper and mayo.

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

If you get one of the aluminum cheap pans-make sure you place it on a cookie sheet first for support.

There's a lot of ways to season a turkey. I like to make a compound butter with butter and seasonings and then place that under the skin. That seasons it and keeps it moist. I also salt the cavity and add aromatics like onion/celery within the cavity.

babynurse244
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I have an easy recipe for Chicken Pot Pie that adapts well with turkey. I always use that recipe at least once after Thanksgiving/Christmas. Let me know if you want it and I'll post it. Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to check out Walmart....

AimSnapHolz
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Sure!

Quoting babynurse244:

I have an easy recipe for Chicken Pot Pie that adapts well with turkey. I always use that recipe at least once after Thanksgiving/Christmas. Let me know if you want it and I'll post it. Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to check out Walmart....

babynurse244
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Classic Chicken Pot Pie

3 cups cooked, chopped chicken (you can also use leftover turkey)

2 layer pie crust from the refrigerator section

3 ½ - 4 cups chicken broth

1/3 cup all purpose Flour

1/3 cup butter

3 cups vegetables ( I usually use a bag of frozen peas and carrots, thawed, because that's what my kids will eat, but you can use whatever you want)

1 cup chopped onion

½ teaspoon ground pepper

1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

1 Tablespoon Dijon style mustard

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Unfold the pastry shell and roll out as needed, place in the bottom of a 10 inch deep dish pie plate. Pierce bottom of pastry with a fork. Heat the butter in a skillet. Add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add the flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to brown.  Slowly add the chicken broth.  Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in the mustard, thyme, and black pepper. Add the chicken and vegetables. Cook until warm. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour contents into the pie shell. Unfold the remaining pie crust and place on top of the vegetable and chicken mixture. Fold under the edges and crimp. Pierce the top crust to allow steam to escape. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until crust is golden brown and contents are thoroughly heated and bubbling.

Quoting AimSnapHolz:

Sure!

Quoting babynurse244:

AimSnapHolz
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Thanks! If I want to make this ahead and freeze it, do I just put it all together, wrap it, and freeze? Should I thaw it completely before reheating or can I cook it from frozen?

Quoting babynurse244:

Classic Chicken Pot Pie

1/3 cup butter

3 cups vegetables ( I usually use a bag of frozen peas and carrots, thawed, because that's what my kids will eat, but you can use whatever you want)

1 cup chopped onion

½ teaspoon ground pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Unfold the pastry shell and roll out as needed, place in the bottom of a 10 inch deep dish pie plate. Pierce bottom of pastry with a fork. Heat the butter in a skillet. Add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add the flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to brown.  Slowly add the chicken broth.  Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in the mustard, thyme, and black pepper. Add the chicken and vegetables. Cook until warm. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour contents into the pie shell. Unfold the remaining pie crust and place on top of the vegetable and chicken mixture. Fold under the edges and crimp. Pierce the top crust to allow steam to escape. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until crust is golden brown and contents are thoroughly heated and bubbling.

Quoting AimSnapHolz:

Sure!

Quoting babynurse244:

babynurse244
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:04 AM

I haven't tried freezing it, don't know why you couldn't though. Since it's "untested", I'd probably thaw it first.

Quoting AimSnapHolz:

Thanks! If I want to make this ahead and freeze it, do I just put it all together, wrap it, and freeze? Should I thaw it completely before reheating or can I cook it from frozen?

Quoting babynurse244:

Classic Chicken Pot Pie

1/3 cup butter

1 cup chopped onion

½ teaspoon ground pepper

Quoting AimSnapHolz:

Sure!

Quoting babynurse244:

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I've never cooked a turkey but here's a recipe that works great with turkey leftovers.

2  10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup

2 1/2  cups milk

8  ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed

4  cups chicken, cooked and chopped

7  ounces uncooked macaroni

3  eggs, hard boiled, chopped

1/4  cup margarine, melted

In large bowl, combine soup, milk, and cheese. Add chicken, macaroni, and eggs. Stir in melted butter. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 60-65 minutes until bubbly.

Optional Topping:

1/4  cup margarine, melted

1 1/2  cups soft bread crumbs

Before baking, mix 1/4c. melted butter with 1 1/2c. soft bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Cook 60-65 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.

~~ I never do the topping because we always have leftovers and the bread topping is soggy when heated up~~

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

This is a recipe I found a while back for turkey nachos.

Turkey Nachos/allrecipes.com
    * 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
    * 3/4 cup salsa
    * 1 cup cubed cooked turkey or chicken
    * Tortilla chips

Combine soup and salsa in a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. Stir in turkey; cook until heated through. Serve warm with tortilla chips.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Turkey Pot Pie
2 cups turkey, cubed
1 can Veg - All (or frozen mixed vegetables)
1 can Creamed of chicken, celery or mushroom soup
1 small can biscuits

Heat first 3 ingredients and put into pie plate, cover with biscuits.
Bake at 375 degrees until biscuit is cooked, about 20 minutes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)