Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Spaghetti sauce

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 30 Replies

What do you prefer? Do you have a particular brand you buy or whatever is on sale? Do you ever make your own or do you doctor your jarred sauce by adding veggies, herbs and spices to it?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kt674
by Kari on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I make my own occasionally but mostly buy it in the jar. I really like "Newman's own" spaghetti sauce or "Classico" but I normally shop on a budget and stick to what is on sale. 

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I make my own, I have never found a jarred one that wasnt too sweet for my tastes....

wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I buy prego, however, I put vegies like caulifower, broccli, onions and green peppers. Then I use a spaghetti seasoning and a dash of italian dressing. Very yummy

sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We're going to make homemade this summer from tomatoes in our garden.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I make my own, but I do use canned tomatoes instead of fresh.  I like the San Marzano whole tomatoes in the can, I think it's Cento brand, but can't recall off the top of my head.  I add a little tomato paste, herbs and spices, onions and garlic and cook it in the crockpot (usually with Italian sausage or meatballs).  There is always enough left to make lasagna, manicotti, or whatever kind of pasta we feel like that day.

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM

i make my own a lot but will buy jarred on sale to have on hand

kt674
by Kari on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I don't like added sugar to my sauce either. I try to check the label before I buy jarred sauce to find them without added sugar or very little.

Quoting SuperPickle:

I make my own, I have never found a jarred one that wasnt too sweet for my tastes....

kt674
by Kari on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

That's a great idea adding veggies! Do you puree them or leave them in pieces? I would have to puree them or else my 6 year old would not eat it! Also, sounds like a good idea adding italian dressing. I will have to try that

Quoting wifeynmommie80:

I buy prego, however, I put vegies like caulifower, broccli, onions and green peppers. Then I use a spaghetti seasoning and a dash of italian dressing. Very yummy

kt674
by Kari on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yummy! Now that's how I would like my spagetti sauce made-with my own tomatoes from our garden! I need to get a garden growing this spring so I can have that....

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

We're going to make homemade this summer from tomatoes in our garden.

kt674
by Kari on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I have heard the San Marzano are the best canned tomatoes. I have a hard time finding them around here though. I love homemade sauce that's been simmering all day in the crockpot!

Quoting jjamom:

I make my own, but I do use canned tomatoes instead of fresh.  I like the San Marzano whole tomatoes in the can, I think it's Cento brand, but can't recall off the top of my head.  I add a little tomato paste, herbs and spices, onions and garlic and cook it in the crockpot (usually with Italian sausage or meatballs).  There is always enough left to make lasagna, manicotti, or whatever kind of pasta we feel like that day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN