Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you prefer? Do you have a particular brand you buy or whatever is on sale? Do you ever make your own or do you doctor your jarred sauce by adding veggies, herbs and spices to it?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
starlight1968
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I buy our grocery's store brand and then add stuff to it..spices, tomatoes and such

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM

My husband buys the sauce. 

Depending on what brand he gets will decide if I doctor it up or not. 

I open the jar, and smell the sauce first, then taste it. If I feel that it needs anything I add it. 

There are times when I will make it from scratch as well. It depends on if I have the time to do so. Meaning that I have the time to allow it to simmer for as long as I like it to simmer before using it.

Jers.
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I make my own gravy.  I'm not allowed to use jarred sauce because according to my mother, "It will cause all of our deceased relatives to roll over in their graves and I wouldn't want that on my hands"

kt674
by Kari on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM

LOL! 

Quoting Jers.:

I make my own gravy.  I'm not allowed to use jarred sauce because according to my mother, "It will cause all of our deceased relatives to roll over in their graves and I wouldn't want that on my hands"

aj2011
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I prefer RAGU meat sauce. Sometimes we'll add cubed bell peppers & onions to it to make it more chunky.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Quoting Jers.:

too funny

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Usually make my own, but I love Paul Newman's Sockaroonie sauce for a quick meal. Even DH liked it, and he's Italian.

kt674
by Kari on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM

That's my DH's favorite sauce also!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Usually make my own, but I love Paul Newman's Sockaroonie sauce for a quick meal. Even DH liked it, and he's Italian.

jdahlstedt
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Brand had never mattered to us. We just buy whatever flavor sounds good at the time, usually something with garlic, mushrooms or cheese. My cousin just mentioned a few weeks ago making her own from scratch. Can't wait to try it!

kt674
by Kari on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Oh it so much better homemade! I don't always make homemade because I don't always have all the ingredients on hand. Also, I need time for it to simmer all day in the crockpot since it has so much flavor that way! But when I do make it, I make a large batch so I can freeze it. 

Quoting jdahlstedt:

Brand had never mattered to us. We just buy whatever flavor sounds good at the time, usually something with garlic, mushrooms or cheese. My cousin just mentioned a few weeks ago making her own from scratch. Can't wait to try it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)