Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Healthy veggie side recipes needed!

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I am going to start trying to eat a little healthier. All we eat as sides that aren't starch for dinners are canned veggies with just some salt and pepper in them. The few recipes I've tried are not very healthy at all (i.e., creamed spinach with heavy cream in it, veggies with lots of cheese, etc). I am also conditioned to want to add butter to everything :/ So please, anyone, share some recipes that are flavorful and healthier than what I'm used to cooking! My husband is super picky with veggies, so here is a list of things he will eat:

green beans

mushrooms and onions 

broccoli

spinach and possible other leafy greens like kale 

avocado

tomato

cucumber

zucchini

eggplant

I know that's not a huge variety, but I'd rather fix something that he will eat, as well. Even if you don't have a certain recipe and can share some spice pairings with certain veggies to add more flavor, I would appreciate it!

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Replies (21-27):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

• Baaked Garlic Green Beans

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 3 teaspoons cider vinegar

• 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes

• 2 garlic cloves, minced

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 dash pepper

• 3 cups frozen cut green beans , thawed

• 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs

• 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

• 2 teaspoons butter melted

• In a bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.

• Add the beans and toss to coat.

• Transfer to a greased 3-cup baking dish.

• Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and butter and sprinkle over beans.

• Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Italian Green Beans

2-3 garlic cloves

1 Tablespoon olive oil

1 lb. fresh green beans, ends removed

1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

½ teaspoon oregano

Parmesan cheese

A method that my husbands 91 year old Aunt Bianca (Italian) taught me. Sauté' garlic in olive oil, add green beans-toss around to coat them and cook about 5 minutes. Then add a small can of tomato sauce, add a little oregano or Italian seasoning, cook another 5-10 minutes on low-if it starts to get too dry, you can add a bit of water. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Green Bean and Shiitake Mushrooms

Servings: 4Prep Time: 8 minutesCook Time: 10 minutes
1/2 pound green beans, trimmed2 teaspoons cooking oil1/2 onion, thinly sliced6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced1 clove garlic, finelly minced1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger1 tablespoon oyster sauce + 2 tablespoons water
1. Fill the wok or saute pan with about 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and then add the green beans. Cover and let steam for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain the beans, wipe the wok dry and return wok to the stove.
2. Heat the wok over high heat and swirl in the cooking oil. When very hot, add in the onions and mushrooms and stir fry for 3 minutes. Turn the heat to medium, add in the cooked green beans, ginger and the garlic and quickly stir fry for an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant. Take care not to burn the ginger or garlic.
3. Stir in the oyster sauce and the 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for 1 minute.
SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Sautéed broccoli with onions and mushrooms

1 head broccoli

1-2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 small onion, thinly sliced from root to stem

8 oz. sliced mushrooms

Salt & pepper

Soy Sauce

Steam broccoli or par-boil just to set the color, plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Drain. Heat large sauté pan. Add olive oil. Add broccoli, onions and mushrooms. Season with Salt & Pepper and a few drizzles of soy sauce. Stir-fry quickly till just tender-crisp, 4-5 minutes. Serve.

Basherte
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM

You could steam the veggies and add 1 pat of butter to them when they are done cooking. It will still give you the flavor that you want, with a whole lot LESS calories and stuff.

Green beans... steam them then add slivered almonds to them.

You can add some nuts to just about all of those veggies. It will add some fat content but a whole lof of flavor and some protein as well.

Basherte
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM

As far as seasonings, I would cut out the salt, and just experiment with other things. 

Mrs. Dash will add lots of flavor as well, and has a lot of different spices in them. Mrs. Dash has a lot of variety. 

247beachbumz
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I sautée garlic w/diced onions til translucent in a lil evoo, add fresh green beans w/oyster sauce, salt, pepper, a lil crushed pepper flakes n add mushrooms at the end....goes great with grilled chicken or fish n couscous :-) zucchini can be tossed with a lil evoo n basalmic vinegar n salt/pepper n grilled or roasted.  U can use spinach/avocado/tomato/cucumber tossed with basalmic vinagrette in a pita bread with shredded roasted/grilled chicken. Hope those help...I got tons of recipes :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN