Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need to cook egg free!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 10 Replies
Ok ladies so my daughter is allergic to egg and her doctor wants her off all things with egg in it! So im.looking for some quick ideas for meals! Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll keep this in mind while I look for recipes and go through my own. Hopefully I'll find some for you.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

The biggest problem may be breakfast and desserts. I would choose oatmeal or dry cereal, granola bars, sausage, bacon or ham on biscuit or English muffin or toast, muffins and fruit. smoothies, corned beef hash, biscuits and sausage gravy (no pancakes, French toast). Lunch and dinner shouldn't be as big a problem, you'll just have to look at the ingredients. Many desserts like cookies, cakes have eggs. Pie crust doesn't, so fruit pies should be ok.  

JasonsMom2007
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

look up the ratio but you can make a gel out of flax seed and water to replace eggs in cooking :)

oh wait the recipe is on my bag of flax

mix 1 TBSP flaxseed meal with 3 TBSP water in a small bowl and let sit for two minutes.  Add to a recipe as you would an egg.

That is to replace one egg.  I hope it helps!

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

bump...that would be tough. I found this link for you. hope it helps! 

http://www.food.com/recipes/egg-free

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck!

aLBa87
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Thank you all sooo much! Great ideas and tips! Getting me off to a great start!
Kimberly954
by Kim on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM
2 moms liked this

There are lots of egg substitutes in recipes! Google it! You can use banana or applesauce if its as a binder. If egg is a levening agent you can use a baking soda water combo.

wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM

My DS has had an egg allergy for 5 years now, finally its getting better. So. Most recipes are egg free. Baking however is different. I can't tell you what to you use for sure, every recipe is different. For instance, cupcakes, pancakes, waffles you can easily replace egg with soda. However Cakes you need an egg replacer such as Ener-G egg replacer, I get that at the whole foods store.  Works well for cakes, I can usually cook tier cakes.  I have found this to be the best replacer out of all the homeade or thought up replacements, I have made many beautiful, fondant cakes with this. But desserts are gonna be the biggest challenge.

In school you will need to make sure ur teacher knows and start stocking for replacements for parties ect. I keep egg free cookies and cake mixes, brownies ect, in the pantry just for school functions.  My son now can tolerate eggs to an extent, but instead of having a severe deadly reaction like he used to have, he is now just breaking out very slightly on his back. So his allergist is hoping in the next year or 2 since we have slowly introduced him back to eggs he will no longer be allergic.

karlamousse4
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Shes right, it's actually really awesome, you dont even taste applesauce!

Quoting Kimberly954:

There are lots of egg substitutes in recipes! Google it! You can use banana or applesauce if its as a binder. If egg is a levening agent you can use a baking soda water combo.

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Quoting Kimberly954:

This is what I do. You can even do the same thing for oil. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)