Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Soft Pretzels

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Makes 8-10 depending on size so you might make more from it.

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/12/25/30-minute-whole-wheat-pretzels/

• 1 and 1/2 cups warm water (lukewarm, no need to take temperature)
  • 1 packet active yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 4 – 4.5 cups all-purpose flour (or mix of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour)
  • 1 large egg
  • course sea salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.

Dissove yeast in warm water.  Stir with a spoon until fairly mixed, about 1 minute. Some clusters of yeast will remain.  Add salt and sugar; stir until fairly combined.  Slowly add flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough is thick.  Continue to add more flour until dough is no longer sticky. Poke the dough with your finger – if it bounces back, it is ready to knead.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.  Knead the dough for about 5 minutes and shape into a ball.  With a sharp knife, cut ball of dough into 1/3 cup sections.  This measurement does not have to be exact – use as much or little dough for each pretzel as you wish - the size of the pretzel is completely up to you.

Roll the dough into a rope with an even diameter. My ropes were twenty inches long. This measurement will depend how large you want the pretzels.  Once you have your long rope, take the ends and draw them together so the dough forms a circle. Twist the ends, then bring them towards yourself and press them down into a pretzel shape.  See above for link to visual instructions.

In a small bowl, beat the egg and pour into a shallow bowl or pie dish.  Dunk the shaped pretzel into the egg wash (both sides).  Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 10 minutes at 425F degrees. Turn the oven to broil for the last 5 minutes to brown the tops. Watch closely to avoid burning.

Recipe note: Allow to cool and enjoy.  Serve warm or at room temperature. Pretzels may be stored in an airtight container or zipped top bag for up to 4 days (will lose softness).  Pretzels freeze well.

If you’d like to make cinnamon sugar pretzels, mix 1 Tablespoon cinnamon and 1/3 cup sugar and coat pretzels instead of using salt.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

It made these this weekend and the kids loved them. Now I did a few things different. I used a brush to brush the beaten egg onto the pretzel dough and then salt.

For one that the batches I made cinnamon and sugar ones. I added a bit of cinnamon and more sugar (maybe 1/4 cup) to the dough and brushed the cinnamon sugar mix on before baking.

I also added some pepper jack cheese to some but when you do this you might want to do this in two different ways. First the easiest is just adding small pieces to the dough as you're mixing or you can try to flatten the dough and then add the pieces and fold it in that way (I recommend mixing it into the dough and saving yourself the extra work). 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Yum Love soft pretzels. Tyfs!!

la-cosa-nostra
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I've bought those auntie annes kits at the store but I'd much rather make them from scratch and be able to tweak the recipe. Thanks for posting this!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I LOVE soft pretzels. I'll have to try these. TFS

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I would like to taste one...I've never tried a soft pretzel...

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM
2 moms liked this
It's like a chewy bread. You can make them thinner & they'll can get crispy.

Quoting delanna6two:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

sounds good...

Quoting OliviaW.:

It's like a chewy bread. You can make them thinner & they'll can get crispy.

Quoting delanna6two:

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Ever?

No soft pretzel stands at the mall (the fresh baked ones-omgosh-so good)? No Orange Julius stand that sells the "super pretzels"?

Sorry-just amazed..

Quoting delanna6two:

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM

The Orange Julius stand here doesn't. It's in with a DQ and they sell hot dogs.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Ever?

No soft pretzel stands at the mall (the fresh baked ones-omgosh-so good)? No Orange Julius stand that sells the "super pretzels"?

Sorry-just amazed..

Quoting delanna6two:

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I love them with mustard or nacho cheese.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)