Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Fruit flies/nats

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 10 Replies

So i have these little bugs in my house. They were flying around the bananas. We threw the bananas out, removed any dirty dishes from the sink, but I still see them. How do I get them to go away??

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperMom2433
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
We had a horrible case of them a couple of years ago. I got a bunch of those traps from Walmart that look like an apple. They are in the bug sprays and fly traps. They worked really good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Traps or paint something bright yellow and put grease on it. It will lure them in and keep them on the grease.

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Thanks ladies!

-42-
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Make sure to clean your drains/pipes.

I dump a little baking soda on the drain and pour white vinegar over it and let it work it's way down the pipes.

And here's a homemade gnat trap:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-rid-gnats-homemade-gnat-trap-338583.html

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM
We had a problem with them too. They were mostly near my kitchen sink. I had a pest service come out and that is what I was to to do as well, clean the drain. He told me they were called "drain something or other (gnats maybe?). He told me to use Liquid Plumber Foaming Gel. It completely solved the problem. Haven't seen them anymore and it's been close to 2 years.

Quoting -42-:

Make sure to clean your drains/pipes.

I dump a little baking soda on the drain and pour white vinegar over it and let it work it's way down the pipes.

And here's a homemade gnat trap:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-rid-gnats-homemade-gnat-trap-338583.html

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I had them and called our pest control company. He said they were in the sink drain, used some stuff to get rid of them and told me to pour bleach down the drain once a week to get rid of the. It worked.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

I had them and called our pest control company. He said they were in the sink drain, used some stuff to get rid of them and told me to pour bleach down the drain once a week to get rid of the. It worked.

That's what I've always done also.

Tnoblin5
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Those little gnats are nasty! They show up when we start bringing in stuff from our garden. I put a small bowl full of apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish liquid mixed in on the counter to get rid of them. They love the smell but when they land on it they sink and drown.
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Hope you get them cleared out...

jdahlstedt
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

A jar of vinegar will get rid of them. Take an old jar like what spaghetti sauce comes in. Poke a few holes in the top (large enough for the nats to go through) Put 1/2-1 cup of white vinegar in the jar and close the top. For some reason they are attracted to the vinegar, fly in and can't get out. The jar does NOT make the house smell of vinegar. Worked wonders for our house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)