Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Dining out cheaply

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 9 Replies

Some hints for saving money when eating out, but a warning- this doesn't work everywhere:

Dine out on the cheap:

• Go out for lunch instead of dinner. Since lunch entrees are significantly cheaper than those at dinnertime, alter your dining-out clock and save big.
  • Look for restaurant deals on Groupon or apps for cheap eats and drinks like happy hours or Nationwide Happy Hour Finder.
  • Bring your own wine. Restaurants typically buy a bottle of wine for what they charge you for a glass of it. Buy your own wine at a discount retailer, like Costco, and bring it to the restaurant. Even after the restaurant's corkage fee, you'll still save.
  • Skip the beverages altogether. Instead, order water with lemon. A family of four can shave roughly $10 off a restaurant tab by doing so. Assuming your family dines out once a week, this can save you more than $500 annually.

Source:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/08/06/food-prices-rise-drought-money-saving-tips/

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KamsOne
by Jen on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Wow.  I didn't know you could bring your own wine to a restaurant!!

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I never would have thought about bring wine to a resturant but I don't drink wine. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

We do do lunch alot just to save a few bucks.

pookie.bear2009
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I didn't know you could bring your own wine either. Also what I like to do  is hit IHop after 4 because your kids can eat for free and that saves me an extra maybe 10-15 dollars because my kids are like a never ending food pit

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Me either. I will keep these tips in mind when we plan to go out to eat next time. TFS

Quoting KamsOne:

Wow.  I didn't know you could bring your own wine to a restaurant!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:59 AM
We have a local place that is BYOB but there's a $3 per person charge associated with it.

Quoting OliviaW.:

I never would have thought about bring wine to a resturant but I don't drink wine. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM

You should call ahead first to find out if you are allowed to bring wine into a restaurant. It isn't allowed in all areas.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM

It is no longer allowed in Maryland.  You used to be able to do this, but they usually charge a corkage fee (which is still a big savings, especially if you want a really nice bottle of wine).

Quoting SweetLuci:

You should call ahead first to find out if you are allowed to bring wine into a restaurant. It isn't allowed in all areas.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Thanks for the tips...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN