Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Grab a Cookbook...

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

What is your temperature right now? Grab a cookbook and turn to that page, and tell us what you find. And tell us what part of the country you live in. If  the recipe sounds like something you would like , share the recipe with us or plan on making this in the next couple of weeks.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM

This is from Southern Living, Our Best 5-Star Recipes. It's 54 degrees near Daytona Beach, Florida, so this is what I found on page 54. I think this would be good.

Marbled Dessert Loaf

3/4 cup butter, softened
2 (3 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa

Preheat oven to 350.

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in vanilla. Pour half of batter into a separate bowl. Sift cocoa over half of batter; beat at low speed until blended. Spoon half of chocolate batter into greased 9x5x3" loafpan; top with half of vanilla batter. Swirl batters together with a knife to create marbled effect. Top with remaining chocolate batter and vanilla batter. Swirl batters again.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil to prevent top from getting too dark, and bake 20 additional minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Zippy Cheeseburger Dip

16oz Velveeta, cut into 1" cubes

10oz can tomatoes and chilies, undrained

1 cup shredded mozzarella

1/2lb ground chuck, cooked and drained

1/2 cup sliced green onions

Mix all ingredients in microwave bowl.

Microwave on high, 5 min, or until cheese is melted; stir after 3 mins. Stir in onions.

Serve with tortilla chops or crackers.

I will not be making it, I don't eat beef.

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I only have one cookbook unpacked (still working on the library).  This one is from a cookbook put out by the Lenox Ambulance Service. There are 3 recipes on page 19 but the first one I saw was the middle so here it is.

Cookie Fruit Salad brought to you by Echo Pierce

1 c. buttermilk

1 small pkg instant vanilla pudding

8 oz cool whip

1 medium can crushed pineapple

2 cans mandarin oranges

14 Keebler fudge-striped cookies

Mix pudding and buttermilk. Fold in Cool Whip. Drain fruit and fruit fruit and cookies. Stir and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors. Stir before serving.  

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I grabbed my favorite cookbook for this but my temperature turned it to a seafood section. While I am getting a LITTLE more into seafood, the recipe on this page is Saute de Scupions a la Nicoise.....Squid with Tomatoes and Anchovies.....probably wont make that LOL.

One more degree up and it would be Le Souffle aux Framboises, Fresh Raspberry Souffle....I would totally make that if I could get some good fresh berries!

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Love this....I will grab later when I can get to a cookbook:)

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

That sopunds good. I would make it. Is your temp 5 degrees? Oh honey, that's cold.

Quoting goddess99:

Zippy Cheeseburger Dip

16oz Velveeta, cut into 1" cubes

10oz can tomatoes and chilies, undrained

1 cup shredded mozzarella

1/2lb ground chuck, cooked and drained

1/2 cup sliced green onions

Mix all ingredients in microwave bowl.

Microwave on high, 5 min, or until cheese is melted; stir after 3 mins. Stir in onions.

Serve with tortilla chops or crackers.

I will not be making it, I don't eat beef.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I think I've eaten something similar, but without the cookies. Wonder if that would add crunch, or if they would get soggy in all that.  19 degrees? Oh man!

Quoting OliviaW.:

I only have one cookbook unpacked (still working on the library).  This one is from a cookbook put out by the Lenox Ambulance Service. There are 3 recipes on page 19 but the first one I saw was the middle so here it is.

1 c. buttermilk

8 oz cool whip

2 cans mandarin oranges

Mix pudding and buttermilk. Fold in Cool Whip. Drain fruit and fruit fruit and cookies. Stir and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors. Stir before serving.  

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM

That's actually a heatwave right now. I really hate winter right now.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I think I've eaten something similar, but without the cookies. Wonder if that would add crunch, or if they would get soggy in all that.  19 degrees? Oh man!

Quoting OliviaW.:

1 c. buttermilk

8 oz cool whip

2 cans mandarin oranges

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I think most people would like fried squid (calamari) better, but I bet my DH would like this. His family makes it a lot of different ways. So what's your temp?

Quoting SuperPickle:

I grabbed my favorite cookbook for this but my temperature turned it to a seafood section. While I am getting a LITTLE more into seafood, the recipe on this page is Saute de Scupions a la Nicoise.....Squid with Tomatoes and Anchovies.....probably wont make that LOL.

One more degree up and it would be Le Souffle aux Framboises, Fresh Raspberry Souffle....I would totally make that if I could get some good fresh berries!

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM

It was 36 at the time LOL. I have had calamari on occasion, its a texture issue with me, not really a flavor...I am really trying hard to incoorporate mores seafoods but its a slow process LOL

Quoting SweetLuci:

I think most people would like fried squid (calamari) better, but I bet my DH would like this. His family makes it a lot of different ways. So what's your temp?

Quoting SuperPickle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN