Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chicago Style Italian Beef

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM
  • 2 Replies

I lived in Chicago for a few years and my then boyfriend really liked Italian Beef sandwiches so to help save some cash I learned how to make it, it took countless tries but in the end it was worth it. Plus there are some anything you can top this with possibilities are endless...

Ingredient

• 1 boneless beef roast, about 3 pounds with most of the fat trimmed off
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 6 cups water
  • 4 beef bouillon cubes
  • 10 soft, fluffy, high gluten rolls, sliced lengthwise but hinged on one side or Italian bread loaves cut widthwise into 10 portions
  • 3 medium sized green bell peppers
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, approximately

1 cup hot/ mild giardiniera ( this is pickled vegetables in italian seasoning under oil and vinegar)

Combine water , ground black pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and bouillon cube in a saucepan. Stir well, and bring to a boil.

Place roast in slow cooker, and pour mixture over the meat.

Cover, and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours, or on High for 4 to 5 hours. When done, remove bay leaf, and shred meat with a fork.

While the meat is cooking (mmmmm, smells sooooo good), cut the bell peppers in half and remove the stems and seeds. Rinse, and cut into 1/4" strips. Cook the peppers in a frying pan over a medium high heat with enough olive oil to coat the bottom, about 1 tablespoon. When they are getting limp and the skins begin to brown, about 15 minutes, they are done. Set aside at room temp.

To assemble the sandwich, start by spooning some juice directly onto the bun. Get it wet. Then lay on the beef generously. Spoon on more juice (don't burn your hand). Top it with bell pepper and, if you wish, giardiniera. If you want it "wet", dip the whole shootin' match in juice. Be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand.

You can also add cheese on top for what Chicagoan call a Cheesy Beef my personal favorite... ENJOY!

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
goddess99
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM

My dh loves Italian beef as well.

mereinhart28
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Yum! sounds great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)