Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

dish to pass help needed?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 25 Replies
My ss has a boy scout banquet next weekend so we need to bring a dish to pass. I do not want to bring the same old same old. Any ideas?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM

i have no idea what you consider same old so no clue where to advice you.  A hot dish or cold dish?

Lorena
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM
It would need to be cold. They seem to have a lot of hot dishes. I don't want to bring a potato salad or anything like that. I'm just looking for smomething different.

Quoting frndlyfn:

i have no idea what you consider same old so no clue where to advice you.  A hot dish or cold dish?

AlyssaN
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I have blue and gold banquet in a couple weeks so I'm gonna bring a chicken pasta salad. I use the bacon ranch suddenly pasta box mix and add diced chicken to it. Or you could make/buy frozen meatballs, put in a crockpot with BBQ sauce and take it.
Or taco salad.
Brown 1-2lb hamburger. Drain and add taco seasoning. Add 1 can drained and rinsed black beans and 1/2 bottle Catalina dressing, 1 drained can corn, and sliced olives. Let cool 30 min. In large bowl place lettuce of choice and top with meat mixture. Add diced tomatoes, onions and/ bell peppers, avocado. Top with sour cream, shredded cheddar, and crushed taco or Doritos chips and serve with ranch or Catalina.
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I usually bring a pasta salad or marshmallow brownies to things like that.

mom2priceboys
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I also have done the box pasta thing but done the italian with some chopped salami, motz cheese and tomatoes. I use some of the pasta water in the mix instead of all the mayo to cut some calories. But I also cheat and bring a bakers dozen of McDonalds chocolate chip cookies hehehe

KamsOne
by Jen on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

How about this?

This recipe comes from here: http://eatathomecooks.com/2012/02/asian-broccoli-salad.html

Asian Broccoli Salad

Yield: 12-15 servings

Asian Broccoli Salad

Ingredients

• 2 pkg chicken flavored ramen noodles
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 head broccoli, chopped in small pieces
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup vinegar
  • 2 pkts ramen noodle seasoning

Instructions

1. Break ramen noodles in small pieces. Set seasoning packets aside for later.
  2. Toast broken noodles and almonds in shallow pan at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Stir several times during toasting.
  3. Combine broccoli, onion, red pepper, sunflower seeds, and toasted noodles and almonds in large bowl.
  4. Whisk together oil, sugar, vinegar and seasoning packets in a small bowl.
  5. Pour over salad right before serving and toss to coat.
Lorena
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM
That what I have the blue and gold banquet.

Quoting AlyssaN:

I have blue and gold banquet in a couple weeks so I'm gonna bring a chicken pasta salad. I use the bacon ranch suddenly pasta box mix and add diced chicken to it. Or you could make/buy frozen meatballs, put in a crockpot with BBQ sauce and take it.

Or taco salad.

Brown 1-2lb hamburger. Drain and add taco seasoning. Add 1 can drained and rinsed black beans and 1/2 bottle Catalina dressing, 1 drained can corn, and sliced olives. Let cool 30 min. In large bowl place lettuce of choice and top with meat mixture. Add diced tomatoes, onions and/ bell peppers, avocado. Top with sour cream, shredded cheddar, and crushed taco or Doritos chips and serve with ranch or Catalina.
AlyssaN
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM
I love blue and gold. We're doing the derby race the same night. I'm torn between the pasta salad and the taco salad.
Lorena
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM
We did our box cars about a month ago.

Quoting AlyssaN:

I love blue and gold. We're doing the derby race the same night. I'm torn between the pasta salad and the taco salad.
AlyssaN
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM
We have 30some boys participating and borrowing a track so its the only time we can. Ugh. It's gonna be a long night lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)