Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

A interesting challenge.....

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have a lady friend that is having to make a special diet for her child. She told me that he has been diagnosed with ADDNOS, anxiety, Gastroenterocolitis, and abdominal migraines. So she is attempting to create a diet with no sugar (he can only have honey and natural fruit sugars), very little fat, no dyes and no additives or preservatives. She also has to make everything gluten free. She said that the only thing that her son Eric really only eats is veggies and lamb. 

I told her a couple of ideas but I was wondering if your ladies had any other idea for her. Thanks ladies!

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Hummous with fresh vegetables
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM

No idea. Good luck.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I just saw a recommendation for a book about this yesterday.  I will have to look for that post and come back and let you know.  It was in the Raising Special Needs Kids group.

If he likes lamb, he might like lamb burgers.  I make them sometimes.  I usually add finely chopped red onion and chopped fresh mint to the burger patties.  Then once cooked, I too them with a sauce made with plain Greek yogurt, chopped red onion, crumbled feta cheese and chopped mint.  

Greek salads are awesome, Rachel Ray has a really good one listed on the food network website.  I think she calls it Greek Chic Salad or Chic Greek Salad or something like that.

Lamb ragu with pasta is one of my favs!

jjamom
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Ok, I just went back and checked and the name of the book is "Special Diets for Special Kids" She said you can find it on Amazon.  Sounds like it might be helpful for your friend. 

Kimberly954
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

oh man thats tough!!!

kim8934
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I'm on a gluten & sugar free diet.  can he have artificial sweeteners?  stevia raw & truvia raw are really good, splenda is also very good.   These are some of the things I eat: all sorts of cheeses, sugar free jello, cottage chees, lean meats.  My favorite food is turkey tacos: romaine lettuce leaf used as the taco shell.  I also make a cauliflower crust for pizza.  There are a bunch of gluten free flours that she can use also. there is usually a small section in stores with gluten free items.

peaches_04
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Gluten free pizza?
Bisquick sells a gluten free box with a pizza crust recipe on it thats really good
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM
He can have honey or natural fruit sugars. She's trying to keep him away from as much artificial sugars as possible.

Quoting kim8934:

I'm on a gluten & sugar free diet.  can he have artificial sweeteners?  stevia raw & truvia raw are really good, splenda is also very good.   These are some of the things I eat: all sorts of cheeses, sugar free jello, cottage chees, lean meats.  My favorite food is turkey tacos: romaine lettuce leaf used as the taco shell.  I also make a cauliflower crust for pizza.  There are a bunch of gluten free flours that she can use also. there is usually a small section in stores with gluten free items.

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I'll tell her about the book.

Quoting jjamom:

Ok, I just went back and checked and the name of the book is "Special Diets for Special Kids" She said you can find it on Amazon.  Sounds like it might be helpful for your friend. 

kim8934
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Stevia is made from tea leaves, Truvia is a blend from Stevia & sugar.   there is also a mung (sp?) fruit sweetener.  They are all around the sugar area.  I believe all are considered natural sweeteners.

Quoting OliviaW.:

He can have honey or natural fruit sugars. She's trying to keep him away from as much artificial sugars as possible.

Quoting kim8934:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)