Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

How do...

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM
  • 13 Replies

You make your potatoes last? How do you store them? I am starting my once a month grocery shopping, but will save enough money to get produce every two weeks if needed. Unfortunately my potatoes seem to start getting softer and start sprouting within a week of getting them! I definatley don't want to waste them,  ut I also don't want to eat potatoes every night just to use them that first week. I am currently storing them in there bag in my pantry since its dark. But I don't think it's working lol....HELP!!!!!!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I just store mine in my pantry. Even if mine start to get like that, I still cook and eat them. They don't taste any different.

KateyBrands
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Thanks! Normally if its growing sprouts ill just pull them off, but I would like to make them last as long as possible!

Quoting goddess99:

I just store mine in my pantry. Even if mine start to get like that, I still cook and eat them. They don't taste any different.

CafeMom Tickers
SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I store them in an old colander for good air flow, in the dark and it needs to be cool and somewhat humid...too dry ruins them(sorry if you read that before, I had it backwards) Make sure there is no other produce around, ESPECIALLY onions.

Oh and dont wash them before storage, the thin layer of dirt helps protect them.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM

good tips. ty!

Quoting SuperPickle:

I store them in an old colander for good air flow, in the dark and it needs to be cool and somewhat humid...too dry ruins them(sorry if you read that before, I had it backwards) Make sure there is no other produce around, ESPECIALLY onions.

Oh and dont wash them before storage, the thin layer of dirt helps protect them.

KateyBrands
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Okay, so here's another question: how do you store your onions? I always put mine in the fridge once its been cut, but it gets kinda soggy looking after a while lol. 

Quoting SuperPickle:

CafeMom Tickers
MrsRinehart2010
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Ive always put mine in the fridge and they last 2 + weeks but thats what works for us .in our house they go bad quicker when lef tout.

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

yeah once they are cut you need to refrigerate then use it within a few days. Before they are cut I store them hanging in a dark cool dry area(pantyhose are awesome hangers, slip one in tie a knot, slip another in and continue, then just cut them out as needed!)

ETA if you only need 1/2 an onion and dont plan on using the other half, chop it and freeze it! Easy to throw into any cooking after that!

Quoting KateyBrands:

Okay, so here's another question: how do you store your onions? I always put mine in the fridge once its been cut, but it gets kinda soggy looking after a while lol. 

Quoting SuperPickle:

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM

It's easy to double batch cook, then freeze the rest for another meal. Saves time. I freeze mashed potatoes, baked potatoes become twice baked potatoes and then frozen, scalloped potatoes freeze well.

On storing them in the pantry-don't store other veggies especially onions or apples near them. If they're in a plastic bag, remove them and store in a large basket or other container where they get some air.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I've heard that If you store an apple with them they won't bid and they'll stay fresher longer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Storing them in a dark area will encourage them to grow... It has to be cool and dark. I just keep mine on the floor right outside my pantry. It keeps them from growing or getting soft.  I get them once maybe twice a month at most. They last until I use the last one. 

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)