Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

It's heavy!

ALolies
Come party with us!
Yesterday at 1:26 PM
40ish and beyond... Group - CafeMom

A group for women beyond 40 who would like to share advice,ask questions,vent out and Have fun.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 11 Replies

I made sour dough bread. The flavor is wonderful, but they are extremely heavy. It was cool in my house yesterday so it didn't rise appropriately. Other than blaming weather, any ideas what could have gone wrong? Or maybe some easy bread recipes? I love home made bread!

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saydar
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I have my bread raise in the oven. While I'm kneading, I turn the oven on to "warm" and then immediately turn it off. It provides an even, warm place for the dough to raise without drafts.

ALolies
Come party with us!

A group for women beyond 40 who would like to share advice,ask questions,vent out and Have fun.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Thanks, I will try that next time....

Quoting Saydar:

I have my bread raise in the oven. While I'm kneading, I turn the oven on to "warm" and then immediately turn it off. It provides an even, warm place for the dough to raise without drafts.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Sometimes if the water is too hot it will kill the yeast
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ALolies
Come party with us!

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

No yeast, I started with a sour dough starter, but my water may have been too warm.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

It sounds like it wasn't warm enough to rise properly. I turn my dishwasher on to rinse while I'm kneading the dough. Then make sure it's turned off. Put bread inside, warm and moist air helps it rise.

Kimberly954
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I suck at making dough. I throw everything in my bread machine and it comes out perfect. When i try myself, i have the same issues as you.

ALolies
Come party with us!

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM

That may be my best bet... lol...

Quoting Kimberly954:

I suck at making dough. I throw everything in my bread machine and it comes out perfect. When i try myself, i have the same issues as you.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Sorry it did not work as well....I have not tried making bread homemade.

felisss
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

What machine do you use? I am thinking of getting one and need a good advise ;)

Quoting Kimberly954:

Basherte
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:36 AM

From my experience, sour dough bread is a little more dense.

The only thing I can think of is to watch how long you are blending the ingredients. And when you are adding them. Add them according to the directions. Don't change the order of when you add them. That can actually affect final product. 

the weather. If you need to and it's chill in the house again. Turn on the oven to like 200 or 250 and set the bowl on top of the stove but not directly on top of the burner where the steam and heat come up from the oven. That should be warm enough to get it to raise properly for you.

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN