Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week, March 3: Sour Cream

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 21 Replies

Sour cream has become a staple in most kitchens, kept on hand to make quick dips, thicken sauces, and of course, to top baked potatoes. It also tenderizes and softens baked goods.

Lactic acid-producing bacteria is added to cream to produce the slightly tart, thick sour cream. Food and Drug Administration standards dictate the butterfat content may not be less than 18 percent for products labeled as sour cream.

Commercial sour cream may also include rennet, gelatin, flavoring agents, vegetable enzymes, sodium citrate, and salt. Check the label if you suffer from food allergies or make your own homemade sour cream.

Light varieties, made with half-and-half (10.5 percent butterfat) and non-fat milk are available in most markets for those watching their diet.                                

Sour Cream Tips and Hints

Although sealed sour cream may be stored up to two weeks beyond the sell-by date, it will lose flavor as it ages.

Sour cream should always be kept refrigerated.

Do not use the carton as a serving container. Remove what you need and return the carton to the refrigerator immediately.

You may notice some liquid separation in sour cream after opening. You can either pour off the liquid or stir it back in.

Pink or green scum is an indicator of spoilage. If you see this on the top of the sour cream, throw the whole thing out.

Before adding to any hot liquid, bring sour cream to room temperature.

Sour cream used as a thickener for hot sauces can easily curdle if the temperature is too high. Remove the food from the heat before stirring in the sour cream or add it during a very low simmer.

Add 1 tablespoon of flour to 1/2 cup of sour cream used as a thickener to discourage curdling.

Sour cream is not a candidate for freezing because it separates when thawed.

Uses for Sour Cream

Many people use sour cream as a topping for baked potatoes or tacos or add it to cream soups. 

There are plenty of ways you can use sour cream to enhance everyday recipes, and also to replace common ingredients. Here are a few examples:

1. If the recipe calls for Crème Fraiche, you can use the same amount of sour cream instead.

2. Sour cream can replace buttermilk in most recipes. Use the same amount the recipe calls for – so, a cup of sour cream can replace a cup of buttermilk.

3. Plain, full fat yogurt and sour cream are interchangeable in most recipes.

4. Definitely substitute sour cream for mayonnaise. It will turn out just as good, and will have less calories.

5. Did you know that sour cream can greatly improve store bought cake mix? Add and mix all the liquid ingredients according to the instructions on the box. When blended, add a cup of sour cream. The cake will turn out richer and fluffier.

6. Using sour cream as a substitute for milk in baked goods recipes adds flavor and richness. Try substituting half of the milk with sour cream.

7. Instead of topping fruit and desserts with whipped cream, make a rich, unique topping by whisking brown sugar and sour cream (try using 1/4 cup sugar for each cup of sour cream). This also makes a great topping for pancakes.

8. Adding a little sour cream to your scrambled eggs before you cook them will result in rich, creamy eggs.

When cooking with sour cream, remember not to overheat or boil it. If sour cream is cooked at too high a temperature or held over heat too long, even at a low temperature, it will break down. 

Do you use regular, low-fat or no-fat sour cream? How do you use it?  

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM

We use regular and we use it for just about everything... Lol...

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
We use it a lot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimberly954
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Low fat or regular and when I am eating dairy, i use it in lasagna or baked spaghetti. Other than that, i really dont buy it.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I only use regular. We use it in a variety of ways from dips to cheesecake to savory dishes and as a topping for baked potatoes and tacos/enchiladas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I don't use sour cream often. But when I do, I buy regular.

Basherte
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I use it for a lot of things. Mashed potatoes, tacos, taco salad.

And a bunch more that I just can't think of at the moment.

We typically get 'regular' helluvagood sour cream. It has a lot of flavor.

wedding countdown

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I like it in mashed potatoes, too. haven't seen that brand of sour cream, but I think I had a dip they made. I usually buy Daisy.

Quoting Basherte:

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I use it on a lot of things, esdpecially potatoes and anything Mexican. I really like it on refried beans.

Basherte
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Daisy is good too. I like it a lot. 

Not quite as much flavor as helluvagood, but still really good.

We can't always find the helluvagood at the store, when we can't we get daisy as well.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I like it in mashed potatoes, too. haven't seen that brand of sour cream, but I think I had a dip they made. I usually buy Daisy.

Quoting Basherte:

wedding countdown

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I'll have to look for it. There is a difference in flavor.

Quoting Basherte:

Daisy is good too. I like it a lot. 

Not quite as much flavor as helluvagood, but still really good.

We can't always find the helluvagood at the store, when we can't we get daisy as well.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting Basherte:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)