Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Dutch Oven Pot

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do I honestly need to invest in one of these? I found a chili recipe I want to make and it says to add your ingredients to your Dutch Oven Pot. Will any pot with a lid do?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM
jjamom
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Yes, any covered pot will work for chili. I don't have a Dutch oven and have even made osso bucco and other braised dishes in my larger covered pot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I figured it would be fine but I'm not a great cook so I wasn't sure.

Quoting jjamom:

Yes, any covered pot will work for chili. I don't have a Dutch oven and have even made osso bucco and other braised dishes in my larger covered pot.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You can use any pot. The advantage to a Dutch oven is that it is a heavy, thick bottom, thick walled pot, so it cooks more evenly, and is harder for it to scortch on the bottom, with another pot you have to be more careful about stirring the bottom, so it doesn't stick. A Dutch Oven can also usually be started on top of the stove and then go in the oven.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thanks for this info. I might look for one sometime, now that I know this.

Quoting SweetLuci:

You can use any pot. The advantage to a Dutch oven is that it is a heavy, thick bottom, thick walled pot, so it cooks more evenly, and is harder for it to scortch on the bottom, with another pot you have to be more careful about stirring the bottom, so it doesn't stick. A Dutch Oven can also usually be started on top of the stove and then go in the oven.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Lucy, just watch a regular pot closer.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've decided that I really want a cast iron one for campfire cooking with the scouts! We had a demonstration at a recent training event and it looked so cool!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM

They really are great for campfire cooking. When my boys were in scouts, we used it a lot. I still have it, but only use it occasionally at home, because it is really heavy.

Quoting periwinkle163:

I've decided that I really want a cast iron one for campfire cooking with the scouts! We had a demonstration at a recent training event and it looked so cool!

Midnite00
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a cast iron Dutch Oven that I use camping too but now that i have a empty nest I am thinking it way to big! I have been seeing smaller oven that are coated enamel but wow they are ususally the chef brands and super high priced... oh well never know when they are going to cut the price cause they are not selling.... 

Firenygirl180
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I bought df an enamel coated cast iron Duffy oven at KMart. It was 50 but with black Friday sales and my fancy couponi only paid 30. It us Sandra lee brand i believe.

It could be a good investment. Df has made some roasts in it and they were amazing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)