Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carrots in Dirt!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Supplies you will need:

1 tube of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
yellow and red food coloring
1 package of Oreo cookies
toothpicks
green ribbon
small plastic cups

1. Dump out your cookie dough into a bowl. Mmmm, that looks lovely doesn't it?

2. Slowly knead in a few drops of food coloring at a time until you reach a rich, orange color. Helpful hints: Mine needed a bit more of the yellow than red. I'll be honest, this took MANY drops until the color was right.

At first it was a nasty pinkish-salmon that looked like puke. Keep going, it will get there!

After my arm was ready to fall off, we finally reached something orange. (Sorry that one was blurry.)

3. Roll about a teaspoon of dough between your palms to get this skinny cone shape. (Have you heard of those "Bugles" corn chips? You want the size of that, only a tad longer.) Keep them quite small, they really grow while cooking.

4. Take a knife and lightly touch it to each carrot 4-5 times to make some cute little lines. Nothing too deep.

5. Now you're ready for the oven! Bake them at 350 for 7-8 minutes. Don't let them brown on the edges!

6. While those are cooking, load up your food processor with a bunch of Oreo cookies. As you can see, I didn't need the whole package after all.

7. Once you've ground them into coarse crumbs, put a spoonful into each cup (about 1/3 full). Mine are 3-oz. "bathroom cups" I found at Walmart.

8. Once your carrots come out of the oven and cool down, you can tie a bow or knot of ribbon around the end of a toothpick and CAREFULLY stab that into the top of each cookie.

9. Place your carrot cookie in the cup of dirt and spoon a little more crumbs on each side until it stands up on its own.

Follow me on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/abbienkatelyn/

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimberly954
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

cute

periwinkle163
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

How adorable!

ALolies
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Love it!!!

Kayla2013
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
How cute! Perfect for a daycare party!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Gonna try this one with my girls. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmyParent
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
So so cute!!
stepconfused182
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I love these! Thanks for the idea!

Basherte
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder if a variation would work on that

Bake little cakes and put like a thin layer of butter cream icing or something on top then sprinkle the oreo cookies on top of that to make the dirt. then add the carrot. 

The first thing that came to mind when I saw these is the crumbled oreo cookies all over my floor. 

wedding countdown

kris0921
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I love that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM
That could work too.

Quoting Basherte:

I wonder if a variation would work on that

Bake little cakes and put like a thin layer of butter cream icing or something on top then sprinkle the oreo cookies on top of that to make the dirt. then add the carrot. 

The first thing that came to mind when I saw these is the crumbled oreo cookies all over my floor. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)