Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Please help me, I need suggestions, thanks

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 20 Replies

My boyfriend is a truck driver and he has no access to a stove, microwave or refrigerator. 

can you suggestion any recipes that i can make for him at home that he can take to work with him?

he's on the road at least 10 hours a day. 

he doesn't want to buy fast food because it's unhealthy and we can not afford it anymore. 

also, he doesn't want to buy a cooler that plugs into a cigerette lighter because it will drain the battery in the truck. 

are there any suggestions you can give for storing food while he's driving?

thanks in advance. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KateyBrands
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband drives all day and he takes a mini cooler with him for drinks and snacks. He can take sandwiches, fruit cups, cut up veggies or any easy snacks he can eat while driving. If he doesn't like sandwiches maybe do wraps? It's hard to think of new things so alot of the time my hubby just takes snacks because he gets tired of everything else. Beef jerky is amazing because it is something that will semi fill him up. So beef jerky or turkey jerky is a good idea. If you can think of anything else, I'll take suggestions too! Lol

CafeMom Tickers
jjamom
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

These are great ideas.  Also, what about soups or stews in a thermos?  

Quoting KateyBrands:

My husband drives all day and he takes a mini cooler with him for drinks and snacks. He can take sandwiches, fruit cups, cut up veggies or any easy snacks he can eat while driving. If he doesn't like sandwiches maybe do wraps? It's hard to think of new things so alot of the time my hubby just takes snacks because he gets tired of everything else. Beef jerky is amazing because it is something that will semi fill him up. So beef jerky or turkey jerky is a good idea. If you can think of anything else, I'll take suggestions too! Lol

AnonyMOUSE715
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Simply get a cooler and a bag of ice. Yes, he will have to stop and replenish the ice, but $2 for a big bag? Easy enough. You can make him taco salad, (my mom used to make a bomb taco salad. Get ground beef, taco seasoning, onion, thousand island dressing, olives, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, doritos. You can grab any type of peppers and mushrooms if you'd like too.
*Cook meat, add seasoning
*Crush up a whole bag of doritos or 1/2 cool ranch 1/2 nacho
*Stir in meat, stir in almost entire bottle of thousand island, maybe alll. Just use your judgement.
*Mix in your tomatoes, olives, mushrooms(optional), red/green/jalapeno peppers if you have them, SOME shredded cheese, and some sour cream.
*Chill in fridge for a few hours.
*Top with more cheese and sour cream before serving
*if you want throw it on top of a bed of shredded lettuce.

chicken salad sandwiches, salads with any kind of meat in them, any type of cold deli wrap, tuna salad sandwiches/wraps, put ANYTHING you want on bagels. For sides you can make pasta salad (add meat you can make a full meal), potato salad, macaroni salad, etc. Fruit salads, ambrosia as sweets. Fruits, cold veggies with dips.

All this should stay fine in an ice cooler as long as they're in tupperware and he keeps ice in there, not melty water.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vinalex0581
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM

see, I tell Vinni to just take sandwiches but he says that he is getting sick of it and he wants something different.  

Quoting KateyBrands:

vinalex0581
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM

thank you.

we have been helpful.  

=)

Quoting AnonyMOUSE715:

Simply get a cooler and a bag of ice. Yes, he will have to stop and replenish the ice, but $2 for a big bag? Easy enough. You can make him taco salad, (my mom used to make a bomb taco salad. Get ground beef, taco seasoning, onion, thousand island dressing, olives, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, doritos. You can grab any type of peppers and mushrooms if you'd like too.
*Cook meat, add seasoning
*Crush up a whole bag of doritos or 1/2 cool ranch 1/2 nacho
*Stir in meat, stir in almost entire bottle of thousand island, maybe alll. Just use your judgement.
*Mix in your tomatoes, olives, mushrooms(optional), red/green/jalapeno peppers if you have them, SOME shredded cheese, and some sour cream.
*Chill in fridge for a few hours.
*Top with more cheese and sour cream before serving
*if you want throw it on top of a bed of shredded lettuce.

chicken salad sandwiches, salads with any kind of meat in them, any type of cold deli wrap, tuna salad sandwiches/wraps, put ANYTHING you want on bagels. For sides you can make pasta salad (add meat you can make a full meal), potato salad, macaroni salad, etc. Fruit salads, ambrosia as sweets. Fruits, cold veggies with dips.

All this should stay fine in an ice cooler as long as they're in tupperware and he keeps ice in there, not melty water.

Kimberly954
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Cooler with an ice pack in it.

Regular salads with grilled chicken on top.

Wraps.

I am not much help because i get stuck on lunch ideas myself. Thankfully DH has a microwave.

KateyBrands
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep!!!!! That's great during the winter! My hard thing is he literally eats while driving. Lol. 

Quoting jjamom:

These are great ideas.  Also, what about soups or stews in a thermos?  

Quoting KateyBrands:

CafeMom Tickers
KateyBrands
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah hubby gets tired of them too. Or says they get soggy. That's why I'm thinking wraps would be better, and healthier. I'm lucky cuz hubby isn't picky so he will eat whatever if hes hungry lol

Quoting vinalex0581:

see, I tell Vinni to just take sandwiches but he says that he is getting sick of it and he wants something different.  

Quoting KateyBrands:

CafeMom Tickers
AlyssaN
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe in the mornings make a couple breakfast burritos or sandwiches and wrap in foil to keep warm. Homemade trail mixes and beef or turkey jerky are great ways to keep up energy. Cut up veggies, hard boiled eggs, take cream cheese or cheese sticks and wrap favorite lunch meat around. Make your own snackables. Invest in a good small cooler and several cooler ice packs. They can keep foods cool up to 8 hrs. Put a couple on the bottom, put food on top, then pack on top of food.
chelsone
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
My boyfriend loves bacon. Pp mentioned beef jerky. They have bacon flavored jerky. Pasta salads are yummmy. They are supposed to be served cold. They habe ones at the store. You cook the noodles, add mayo and refrigerate. If he started taking a mini cooler it would work. I love having my pasta salads in wraps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN