Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Almost meatless meal ideas

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 18 Replies
Does anyone have any recipes or meal ideas that don't include a lot of meat/poultry? I am not against meat at all (I love it) but would like to cook less of it for health reasons and because it's expensive! I am looking for recipes that just call for a small amount of meat and more veggies, grains, beans, ect.
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM
What about eggplant parmigiana (you can also use zucchini), portobello burgers, butternut squash risotto (you can also use other roasted vegetables), stir fry (you can add a small amount of meat, chicken or shrimp) and serve eith brown rice or quinoa. Butternut squash ravioli, lasagna or stuffed shells with cheese and marinara sauce.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kimberly954
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM

We are horrible at this kind of thing! I would just start serving smaller portions of the meat and fill your plates up with the other things. I think a serving size of meat is the size of a deck of cards (i believe) and we always go WAY over that!

Kimberly954
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Stuffed shells and spaghetti are pretty much our meatless meals.

kt674
by Kari on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM

It is hard to cut back on meat! So often our meat portions are about half of our meal when it should only be a quarter or less! But I do think just serving smaller pieces of meat would help us. 

Quoting Kimberly954:

We are horrible at this kind of thing! I would just start serving smaller portions of the meat and fill your plates up with the other things. I think a serving size of meat is the size of a deck of cards (i believe) and we always go WAY over that!

kt674
by Kari on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I made the eggplant parm. a couple weeks ago. All of these are great ideas-thank you!

Quoting jjamom:

What about eggplant parmigiana (you can also use zucchini), portobello burgers, butternut squash risotto (you can also use other roasted vegetables), stir fry (you can add a small amount of meat, chicken or shrimp) and serve eith brown rice or quinoa. Butternut squash ravioli, lasagna or stuffed shells with cheese and marinara sauce.

skippito
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I like to make black bean( that I smoosh) cheese and pepper quesadillas, serve with brown rice with diced tomatoes and cilantro and sides of avocado, sour cream and salsa. Yummy!!!
rhiannonaisling
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM

stuffed portobello mushrooms, stuffed tomatoes or bell pepper, individual or mini meatloafs (use a muffin tin to determine size and then you don't use as much meat, if you fill the whole muffin tin you will have leftovers for another meal as well), salads with meat (depending on the size of your family 1-2 steaks are enough or 2-3 chicken breast or seafood), lasagna is our favorite (I use two pounds of italian sausage for up to 9 days of lasagna for 5 people or 45 servings. I do different size pans and freeze what I don't use same day), anything with rice and beans doesn't need another protein so rice and bean tostados or burritos are good, too. Caseroles don't have to have a lot of meat. Eggs can also be used to replace meat.

kt674
by Kari on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Yum, that sounds good. I love black beans! I have been making burritos with black beans and a small amount of chicken but we don't really need the chicken! 

Quoting skippito:

I like to make black bean( that I smoosh) cheese and pepper quesadillas, serve with brown rice with diced tomatoes and cilantro and sides of avocado, sour cream and salsa. Yummy!!!

skippito
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I also make broccoli and ricotta cheese calzones with a giant salad with chic peas as a side and chili using finely processed tofu with cheesy corn muffins. Chowders and soups that you load with veggies and grains served with a hearty bread are good choices too for nearly/meatless meals.

Quoting kt674:

Yum, that sounds good. I love black beans! I have been making burritos with black beans and a small amount of chicken but we don't really need the chicken! 

Quoting skippito:

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Serve fewer things where each person gets an individual portion of meat, like chicken breasts over rice. Cut them up in small pieces and mix with the rice and you can  use less meat. Stirfries are good for this.  Take the recipes that you usually use, and use less meat and more vegetables. Chili, spaghett and beef stew are good ones for this, and casseroles too are easy to cut down on the meat. Add more beans to the chili. No one will probably notice that there's less meat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN