Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help... I need some ideas for healthy preservative and dye free kid friendly recipes!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 47 Replies

Hello.  I am new to this group, but would love to hear some of your favorite recipes that your kids actually like to eat that are HEALTHY, preservative free, dye free, and possibly organic as well.  I think we are pretty healthy overall and have a good variety of foods and tend to eat natural, unprocessed foods... but this can get expensive and I am just not very creative on putting together meals.  My husband accuses me of having boring meals of a protien, a vegetable, and some kind of healthy carbohydrate and fruits.  Each item is usually separate, and a lot of times my kids just won't eat the vegetables or the protein.  Sometimes the dish just appears too "adult" as well and the kids look at it like I am crazy. 

We have a nephew that is allergic to food dye (red) and this causes him to feel ill and hyper when he ingests even a little.  Our 5 year old son, seems to have some similarities to his cousin and I am wanting to see what happens to all of us health wise if we can eliminate these things from our diet completely.   Honestly, I don't know how to completely do this, have my kids eat it, and have the family accept it, let alone enjoy it.   I've heard the phrase that if the food was created in a lab or has ingredients from a lab that you will end up in a lab too eventually.  I thought this was a great phrase to remember regarding how many food companies are creating an addicted population of children and adults to additives, processed foods, refined flours and sugars, preservatives, dyes, and in general creating a major health crisis by something that we all have to do everyday to survive... EAT!  But are nutritionally starving while becoming more and more unhealthy from obesity, diabetes, cancers all while being addicted to the things that are making us sick.

I would love to hear your recipes to be able to start a list of kid friendly, healthy meals and snacks.  I'm looking for all meals too... so breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks! :)   Thanks!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shajdinyak
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I dont know what kid friendly is because our kids have always eaten the same thing we eat? Tonight I am making curry for dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BHershey
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I am with you on this!  tHere are some great sites out there that offer kid-friendly recipes like you mentioned.  I got alot of ideas off the site, 100daysofrealfood.  You can google that and find it pretty easily. I also have many recipes on our own site that we've found and adapted.  (and they are all kid-tested and approved).  :)  ProvenNutritionForKids   I hope those resources help give you a start!  I'm a big believer in eating wholesome food without losing the great taste of everything!  Best of luck, Bonnie

Kimberly954
by Kim on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

hm, well........breakfast my dd likes homemade muffins (pumpkin are her favorite) or scrambled eggs and toast or pancakes. Lunch she typically eats a sandwich of some kind or chicken nuggets or leftovers. Dinner she eats what we eat. Her favorites are chicken and rice, shrimp and pasta, spaghetti, that kind of thing. Snacks i make her a "smily face" with crackers and peanut butter or cheese, some kind of fruit, pretzels, then just shape it into a smile. I THINK its rare if we eat preservatives or dye since i tend to make my own things but i dont always look to see whats in things like ritz crackers or pretzel sticks or cheese goldfish.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

We try to stay clear of red dye as well. I just read labels and don't don't buy things with ingredients we don't want to eat. Every recipe I have works for us because I've altered it to.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids love homage chicken tenders. You can slso make homemade fish sticks. My kids are getting a little older now and they eat pretty much shat we eat for dinner. I try to make most of the meal from scratch, so i can control the ingredients. i dont use prepackaged psckets like for chili or gravy or seasonings, i use fresh herbs and spices. those psckets have s ton of salt, preservatives, additives, etc.

For snacks, they eat cheese sticks, yogurt, granola bars, fruit snacks, fruits (they do eat junk food too, but I try to limit what I buy so there isn't a lot of it around).

Breakfast, they like waffles, eggs with bacon or sausage, muffins, cinnamon rolls.

Lunch they eat grilled cheese, pizza, PB&J, tuna sandwiches, rolled lunch meats and cheese, with applesauce, yogurt, grapes, sometimes chips, etc when they are home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nightengale4
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM
2 moms liked this

thanks everyone!  As far as "kid friendly" goes... there are meals that everyone likes, but are so basic, that I wanted to expand beyond the chicken breast, vegie, fruit meal...etc... and some of the meals my hubby, older son (15) and I like, the kids just are not consistant with... which I know is a 3 year old thing and may not be hungry at that time of day, tired, distracted, etc... but we've tried so many times!  We do a curry dish and a korma dish once a week and they have never eaten it!  Even taking the rice away and making it very mild didn't help.  We do have a rule that there are no alternative meals so that they do not start to think I am a short order chef :)... so if they don't eat, they don't eat... which still makes me cringe, but our ecfe teachers and pediatrition agreed that missing a meal by choice here and there is a normal toddler, pre k thing and not to worry... they have their next meal coming very soon! 

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
First thing.. don't buy premade meals make your own to avoid the preservatives. .. second honestly their arent alot of things to avoid when having a allergy to red dye .. I had a friend whos little girl was allergic to yellow and red dyes. Third.. to stay organic your better off shopping at a farmers market to get fruits, vegetables and etc. Once I get on my computer I will post you some kid friendly recipes.
motamaid
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Just read labels and cook normal recipes making swaps. If your family likes casseroles that call for cream soups sub in hommade or organic stock or boullion mixed with herbs and spices and Greek yogurt. We love brown and black rice and eat lots of quinoa. My kids love steamed and roasted veggies. Cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels, lettuces, you name it. Try roasting them if they don't like steamed. There are lots of online resources.
nightengale4
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Thanks!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I see you're a new member. Welcome to the group. Make sure you check out the Recipes forum. That's where moms post their favorite recipes, and see if some of them fit your criteria. Basically in shopping, just buy whole food, organic when possible. Go around the perimeter of the store. That's where you'll find dairy, produce, meats and seafood. Then on the inside aisles, look for the natural foods section, or whole grains. That way you'll only have the foods you need to produce meals. Soups are often a good way to get kids to eat meat and vegetables. Chili is also good. Stirfries are also good. Have you tried roasting the veggies? Kale chips are good. Smoothies for breakast are good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)