Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week, March 31: Deviled Eggs

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 12 Replies

The origin of deviled eggs can't be pinned down to any one specific person, date or place. It is a culinary amalgamation of history and taste. The actual concept of deviled eggs begins with Ancient Rome. Spicy stuffed eggs were known in 13th century Andalusia. The name is an 18th century invention.

According to many historic cookbooks, the practice of boiling eggs, removing the yolks, combining the yolks with spices (such as mustard and cayenne pepper) and then refilling the shells with that mixture was common by the end of the 16th century and was the "norm" by the 17th century.

The word “deviled” first appeared in print in 1786 and was used to describe highly seasoned fried or boiled dishes. By the 1800's, the term "deviled" evolved and was often used as a culinary term to describe fiery hot spiced dishes or condiments. The use of the word was presumably adopted due to the symbolism of the devil and the excessive heat of, well, you know where. In the 19th century, the word deviled continued to be used to describe hot seasonings, more specifically cayenne or mustard, and again brought with it the connotation of that "hot spot down under"—something hot and spicy.

The term is deviled is used to describe eggs, crab, cakes, and many other dishes.  

This recipe is so cute for Easter:

Easter Deviled Eggs

12 eggs

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 tsp ground mustard

1 tsp vinegar

salt and pepper

baby carrots

raisins

Place eggs in a large pot of cold water and bring to boil. Once the water has reached boiling point, remove from heat and cover the pot. Let sit for 30 minutes. Place eggs in ice water for 10 minutes. Remove shells. Cut eggs in half and scoop cooked yolks into a bowl. Add mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and a dash of salt and pepper. Mix until smooth. Place yolk mixture into the cooked egg whites. If you want you can place the mixture in a ziploc bag and cut a hole in the corner. Then squeeze it onto the egg whites.

To decorate as chicks, use slices of baby carrots as feet. Cut triangular pieces of carrots for beaks. Cut tiny pieces of raisins for eyes.

Do you make Deviled eggs for Easter?

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I am making deviled eggs today. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bradensmommy719
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Cute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Cute. I've never had deviled eggs.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM
I'm not a fan
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I made garlic deviled eggs today!
periwinkle163
by Mandy on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I made some today, I used this sandwich spread from Kraft and a little mustard and it came out really well.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

That sounds good.

Quoting periwinkle163:

I made some today, I used this sandwich spread from Kraft and a little mustard and it came out really well.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM
My family loves devilled eggs. I make them really simple though. Mayo, prepared mustard, hard boiled egg yolks, a little salt and pepper. Garnished with paprika and a little dill.
Basherte
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I use mayo, mustard, the yolks... mix that together really well. Then top with a sprinkle of paprika.

CafeMom Tickers
Kimberly954
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I think i will make some today

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)