Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

baked eggs

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 19 Replies

Anyone else bake their hard boiled eggs this year? I did. I put them in muffin tins, baked for 25 minutes. They were SUPPOSED to be easier to peel. Hm....i didnt really get that result. They really didnt seem any different than boiling them. Just wanted to see if anyone else tried it. this method was all over pinterest this year.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM

interesting.. never thought of that idea.. but i saw on pinterest if you put baking soda in it while it boils it will help them peel better.

KamsOne
by Jen on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I saw it on Pinterest too and was going to try it but we did 5 dozen eggs this year and I only have one muffin tin so it would have taken too long.  We don't eat them anyway so it doesn't matter to use how they taste or how easy they are to peel.  

MixedCooke
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:00 AM

but isnt it faster and uses less energy if you just boil them normally??

ballerina.2006
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:08 AM
We tried it and my kids prefer actual boiled eggs. I think my oven cooks hot so ours had some brown spots on the egg flesh :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:01 AM

No

But I did do the crockpot method-2hrs on high...1/2c water,(I put 2 dozen in my crock) then plunge into ice water. They did peel easier,but still got the green/gray ring. Otherwise though the were cooked through.

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I had this as well.....
Quoting ballerina.2006:

We tried it and my kids prefer actual boiled eggs. I think my oven cooks hot so ours had some brown spots on the egg flesh :/
Kimberly954
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Yes, my dh pointed this out as well. I just wanted to try it though. Plus, I could leave it and forget it until the timer went off. i have a hard time boiling eggs on the stove for some reason.
Quoting MixedCooke:

but isnt it faster and uses less energy if you just boil them normally??

periwinkle163
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I read that but I've never tried it, I always do the method where you bring the water to a boil and then turn the heat off, cover, and let them sit for 12-15 minutes. I've also heard to make sure not to use fresh eggs, buy them 4-5 days before hand for easier peeling.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The green ring forms when you overheat the egg, usually from too much time in the water, causing hydrogen and sulfur in the egg white to react and form hydrogen sulfide gas. The hydrogen sulfide reacts with iron in the egg yolk to form a grayish-green compound where the white and yolk meet. While the color isn't particularly appetizing, it's fine to eat. You can keep the yolk from turning green by chilling the eggs as soon as they have finished cooking, by the regular boiling method, but  because of the longer time in hot water in the crockpot, it's more of a possibility.

Quoting ZsMommy:

No

But I did do the crockpot method-2hrs on high...1/2c water,(I put 2 dozen in my crock) then plunge into ice water. They did peel easier,but still got the green/gray ring. Otherwise though the were cooked through.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandmother told me to add vinegar to the water, and it does seem to help.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

interesting.. never thought of that idea.. but i saw on pinterest if you put baking soda in it while it boils it will help them peel better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)