Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Need healthy meal ideas that doesn't cost ALOT..

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 30 Replies
Okay ladies:) I want more then anything for my family to healthier. I wouldn't say we eat horrible now but not as healthy as we could be. Also I want to gain healthy weight(myself only). So please please you healthy eating mamas,share your meal ideas. Keep in mind we are a family of 6:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy03457
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Bump:-P
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by Mandy on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I have found that what really works for my family is fresh raw fruits and veggies. My kiddos will mow down on a carrot stick but if I were to steam them they wouldn't touch them.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

One way to be healthier is when you shop, go around the perimeter of the store. That's where you find fresh produce, meat, fish, produce, dairy products-all real food. Then don't go up and down the aisles, you'll see too many products with lots of unhealthy ingredients. Have a list and just go to where you need to, like cereal aisle to buy oatmeal, etc. Stick to your list.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM

• This is from the Santa Maria Restaurant in St. Augustine, Fl. It's really good.

Cuban Black Bean Soup

1 pound black beans
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoons thyme
2 ham hocks
Olive oil, for sauteing, plus 1/4 cup olive oil
1 white onion, large dice
1 red bell pepper, large dice
1 green bell pepper, large dice
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 cup white vinegar
Salt
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion, for garnish

In a large stockpot, cover the beans with water, covering them by 2 inches. Add bay leaf, cumin, oregano, thyme and ham hocks. Simmer until the beans are tender, about 45 minutes.

In a saute pan, saute onions, red, and green peppers until translucent. Puree in a blender, this is the sofrito.

In the same pan, saute the garlic. Add to the beans, along with the sofrito, 1/4-cup olive oil, sugar, and vinegar. Season with salt and continue to cook until very thick, about 45 minutes. Garnish with finely chopped red onion.

This is good served over rice and topped with scallions.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Three Bean Chili

2 teaspoons vegetable oil 
3/4  pounds ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans
1 (16 ounce) can lima beans
1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can Spanish style tomato sauce
2 tablespoon chili sauce or catsup
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt

Drain and rinse all beans. Brown ground beef with vegetable oil; drain. Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and stir occasionally. Put on low heat; can be fixed ahead and left on all day. Can also be made on top of the stove.

Instead of using canned beans, you can use any dried beans that have been pre-soaked.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Salsa Chicken

4 breast uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast

1 1/4 oz taco seasoning

1 cup salsa

2 Tbsp cornstarch

1 cup fat-free sour cream

Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Add the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and salsa. cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
When ready remove the chicken from the pot. place about 2 tablespoons of corn starch in a small amount of water and stir well. Stir the cornstarch mixture in to the salsa sauce. Stir in the sour cream.
Let the sauce warm up and serve when hot.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

veggie tacos, salad, grilled chicken...

KristenFowles
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I've really been getting into my crock pot.. 

And I'm always amazed at how inexpensive chicken thighs/drumstics are..

Last night I did a pesto chicken in my crock pot.. and it literally falls off the bone, it was so yummy.

I just lined the crockpot with chicken thighs and drumsticks.. I poured in a bit of chicken broth.. I covered the chicken in a jar of pesto and then sprinkled a ranch seasoning packet on top.  Cooked on low for 6-7 hours..

And when I came home from class/errands/picking up my kiddos, dinner was ready!

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

You preheat the oven to 425.

Take 4 to 5 pounds of broccoli (I just got two large bunches), cut into florets (but relatively big ones.) Here’s the key that she doesn’t mention in the recipe: dry them THOROUGHLY. That is, if you wash them. I saw an episode of Julia Child cooking with Jacques Pepin once when Pepin revealed he doesn’t wash a chicken before putting it in a hot oven: “The heat kills all the germs,” he said in his French accent. “If bacteria could survive that oven, it deserves to kill me.” By that logic, then, I didn’t wash my broccoli; I wanted it to get crispy and brown. If you’re nervous, though, just wash and dry it obsessively.

Now, it’s easy. Put the broccoli on a cookie sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. (She says 5 Tbs olive oil, 1 1/2 tsps kosher salt, 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper, but I just eyeballed it.) Now add 4 garlic cloves that are peeled and sliced and toss them in too.

Roast in the oven 20 to 25 minutes, until “crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.”

I shook the pan around a bit as it went, but not sure that’s necessary.

When it’s done, take it out of the oven–and here’s where it gets really good–zest a lemon over the broccoli, squeeze the lemon juice over the broccoli, add 1.5 Tbs more olive oil, 3 Tbs toasted pine nuts (I left those out), and 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Sautéed broccoli with onions and mushrooms

1 head broccoli

1-2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 small onion, thinly sliced from root to stem

8 oz. sliced mushrooms

Salt & pepper

Soy Sauce

Steam broccoli or par-boil just to set the color, plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Drain. Heat large sauté pan. Add olive oil. Add broccoli, onions and mushrooms. Season with Salt & Pepper and a few drizzles of soy sauce. Stir-fry quickly till just tender-crisp, 4-5 minutes. Serve.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)