Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Key Limes

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have a small key lime tree. Some are almost ripe. If they were all ripe at the same time i would have enough for a pie but its not going to work out that way.....I will have 4-5 at a time probably. Anything I can do with just a few key limes?

And by the way....i have NO idea how to tell if my key lime is ripe but they are just about full size.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
periwinkle163
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

You can make lime shakeups!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Key limes main season is early summer in South Florida and late summer further north.It's usually 3-4 months from blossom to ripe fruit. Harvest key limes when the peel is a greenish yelloow to yellow color; persian or tahiti limes are ready to pick when  the skin is a dark to medium dark green. The fruit should feel heavy for it's size, have smooth skin and be easy to pull from the tree. Take from the lower branches first. Test one. If your lime has little juice, they aren't ripe - wait a bit longer to harvest.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM

You can freeze the juice until you have enough to make a pie.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Key Lime-Coconut Muffins

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup key lime juice
1 -1 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Directions:
1Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl.
2In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs, oil and Key Lime Juice.
3Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients just until all are moist, do not overmix.
4Spray Large muffin tins lightly with cooking oil.
5Layer batter and coconut by filling tins 1/2 full with batter, then 1 tablespoon of coconut, then fill to about 1/4 inch from top with batter and top with 1 tablespoon of coconut.
6Bake at 375 degrees for 25-28 minutes, until tops are brown and the coconut is toasty. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, run a knife around the muffins and place on serving dish or store in airtight container.

Servings Per Recipe: 6

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

ISLAND CHICKEN

3-4 pound chicken, cut into pieces
1/2 cup juice from key limes
1/3 cup soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, diced
Salt and pepper

Combine lime juice, soy sauce and garlic. Pour over chicken, cover and marinate 8 hours or overnight.
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Reserve marinade. When oil is hot, add chicken pieces and brown on both sides. Remove chicken from pan. Saute onions in same pan for a few minutes, just until onions are soft. Add chicken back to pan and add reserved marinade. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about an hour, until chicken is tender.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM

It's awesome.

KEY LIME CHEESECAKE.

1 prepared graham cracker crust (or make your own)
1 Pkg Softened Philadelphia cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2-3/4 cup key lime juice (I prefer closer to 3/4 for tartness)
Blend in food processor until smooth
pour in pie shell and refrigerate.
Top with a dollup of whipped cream before serving.
People will think you slaved for hours making this and never realize how easy it is.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Best made the day before. Helpful to have one of those microplane graters for lime zest. I think I use a bit more zest than the recipe calls for.

Key Lime Bundt Cake

Fine dry bread crumbs & softened butter (for coating pan)
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz unsalted butter, at room temp.
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs
1 cup milk
Finely grated zest of 3 limes, preferably key limes

Glaze:
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice or 1/4 cup each lime & lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar

Oven 350 degrees
Butter 10 inch tube pan (I use my Bundt pan) and sprinkle w/ bread crumbs (coat - use a lot of butter)

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
Beat butter till soft, gradually add sugar, beat 'till light & fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl after each addition.
On lowest speed, alternately add dry ingredients & milk, scraping bowl as nec. and beating just to mix each addition.
Stir in lime zest by hand.
Pour half the batter on one side of pan, half in other. Level top by briskly rotating pan back and forth.

Bake until cake tester comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours. Let cool slightly on wire rack - 10-15 mins.

Stir lime juice and sugar together just to mix.

Place cake rack on tube pan and invert and place rack over foil. Using pastry brush, brush glaze all over warm cake until completely absorbed. Brush on any glaze that drips onto foil.

Let cake cool completely & transfer to cake platter. Let stand loosely covered for several hours or preferably over night. When ready, outside of cake will be completely dry.

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Yummy!

Quoting SweetLuci:

It's awesome.

KEY LIME CHEESECAKE.

1 prepared graham cracker crust (or make your own)
1 Pkg Softened Philadelphia cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2-3/4 cup key lime juice (I prefer closer to 3/4 for tartness)
Blend in food processor until smooth
pour in pie shell and refrigerate.
Top with a dollup of whipped cream before serving.
People will think you slaved for hours making this and never realize how easy it is.

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

so maybe my little plant will fruit again?? I cant have fruit trees in my neighborhood so i have a potted "cocktail" tree - have lemon and half key lime. For a little tree that is only about 2 feet tall i have probably 20-25 limes on it and 10 lemons. Poor tree is falling over! lol

Quoting SweetLuci:

Key limes main season is early summer in South Florida and late summer further north.It's usually 3-4 months from blossom to ripe fruit. Harvest key limes when the peel is a greenish yelloow to yellow color; persian or tahiti limes are ready to pick when  the skin is a dark to medium dark green. The fruit should feel heavy for it's size, have smooth skin and be easy to pull from the tree. Take from the lower branches first. Test one. If your lime has little juice, they aren't ripe - wait a bit longer to harvest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN