Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a little one with a milk allergy

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 26 Replies
Any recommendations for meals that are dairy free?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I know there's a few moms that have lo that are on a dairy free diet. Here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamalion11
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Thank you :) let me know if you hear any cool recipes. I would really appreciate it. The hard part is my husband loves milk so trying to make a meal that isn't repetitive and everyone can eat that is healthy is pretty tricky. I am actually lactose intolerant so when my husband isn't home it isn't so difficult.

Quoting KaylaMillar:

I know there's a few moms that have lo that are on a dairy free diet. Here's a bump

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Spaghetti & meatballs, tacos, meatloaf, baked chicken and rice.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Apple Chicken

2 whole apples, skinned and diced
2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup white sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

Set aside the chicken.
Make sure the apple is skinned and diced into small pieces and then sprinkle with the cinnamon.
Place apples and other ingredients into a container for marinading (bowl, large ziploc bag) and mix well.
Once mixed, add the chicken and let sit overnight.
Heat oven to 375 and cook the chicken with the marinade covered with tin foil until chicken is fully cooked, about 30-40 minutes depending on the oven.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Barbeque-style Chicken in a crockpot

2 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1 large green sweet pepper, cut into strips

1 medium onion, sliced

1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca

2 pounds chicken thighs or drumsticks, skinned and fat removed

1 8-ounce can tomato sauce

2 tablespoons packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon yellow mustard

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon salt

In a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker place the potatoes, sweet pepper, and onion. Sprinkle tapioca over potato mixture. Place chicken on top of the vegetables. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, and salt. Pour sauce over chicken.

Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.

Transfer chicken and vegetables to a large serving bowl. Skim fat from sauce. Spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Spanish Chicken & Rice

Serves 6

6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon each: paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 pound cooked chorizo, sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 medium-large onion, cut into medium dice
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into medium dice
1 1/2 cups short-or medium-grain white rice
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) petite-diced tomatoes
3/4 cup frozen peas

Toss chicken with 1 tablespoon of the oil, paprika, oregano, garlic, and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.

Heat a large heavy-bottomed deep skillet pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté, turning once, until well browned about 6 minutes; set aside.

Add remaining tablespoon of oil and the sausages; cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onions and peppers; cook until tender, about 4 minutes longer. Stir in rice and tumeric to coat with oil. Add broth, tomatoes and chicken; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until most of the liquid has absorbed, 15 minutes. Stir in peas; cover and turn off heat a few minutes. Serve.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Easy Baked Chicken Breasts

2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
1/2 c. olive oil
8 potatoes, peeled & cut into eighths
1 c. coarsely chopped tomatoes
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. oregano
6 lg. mushrooms, sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken in oven casserole dish. Add olive oil, potatoes, tomatoes, pepper, oregano and mushrooms. Bake, uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Baste with sauce from the casserole every 20 minutes.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM

This recipe is from The Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals by Phyllis Pellman Good, Louise Stoltzfus

Oven-Fried Chicken Legs

1 cup bread crumbs

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. poultry seasoning

1 tsp. onion salt

½ tsp. pepper

2 Tbsp. cooking oil

12-14 chicken legs or 6-8 thighs

Mix breadcrumbs, seasoning and cooking oil.

Rinse chicken legs under running water and roll each leg in crumb mixture, shaking off excess.

Place legs in two rows in greased 9’x13’ baking pan, alternating thick and thin sides of legs.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove from oven and place in clean, hot casserole dish.

DragonInfinity
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I don't really now any recipes, my dd has a dairy allergy too and is now on soy milk. So when I make things that call for milk, I just use soy, (our family eats it anyway). I also buy soy cheese, etc......haven't had a problem since! Good luck!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safety in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!!!"

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

To make this chicken, which you should absolutely do immediately, preheat your oven to 450ºF. Then, mix together 1/2 cup of dijon mustard, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar.

Put a 1.5 pound package of chicken thighs into a foil-lined, oven-proof baking dish. I used bone-in thighs. Six came in my package, which made enough to serve 3 people. Then, salt and pepper the thighs. Pour your maple mustard mixture over them, turning the thighs in the mixture so they are fully coated.

Put the chicken thighs into the oven, and let them bake for 40 minutes or until a meatthermometer reads 165ºF. Baste the tops of the chicken with more sauce half way through. I find that a meat thermometer is essential in cooking because it allows me to check for doneness without cutting into the meat and losing its precious juices. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. Plate the chicken, making sure to spoon some extra sauce over the top. Sprinkle over some fresh rosemary. If there is ever a time to use fresh herbs, THIS IS IT! The flavors are just so good together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)