Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe Box Challenge Day 3: Italian and/or pasta!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 139 Replies
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Day 3 of the Recipe Box Challenge! Each day we'll give you a new food theme to add to our recipe box!

Your theme for today is:
Italian and/or pasta.

Remember, you don't have to cook something each day -- though of course we'd love to see pictures if you whip something up! You can do any of the following:

• Post a photo and include a recipe of a dish you've made in the past that fits the theme.
  • Post a photo and include a recipe you've seen online, that you'd like to try based on the theme.
  • Post a recipe based on the theme even if you don't have a photo.
  • Post a recipe and/or idea for leftovers based on the theme.

apron

Be sure to come back and check out this post when you need ideas for Italian and/or pasta recipes!

One member who signs up for our Recipe Box Challenge and replies to all 10 daily posts will be chosen at random to win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

Join Our Recipe Box Challenge! WIN a $25 gift card and lots of other PRIZES!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofjkkc
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I got a recipe from a cream cheese box
Brown 1package of Italian sausage (if links remove casing), drain
Return meat to pan
Add 1jar spaghetti sauce, 1cup of water, bring to a boil
Add 8oz penne noodles
Simmer on med low about 20mins, covered
Meanwhile
In a small bowl
Combine 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1tsp chopped parsley flakes, 1pkg softened cream cheese.
When noodles are cooked through add cream cheese mixture in dollops. Simmer another 10 mins, top with cheddar cheese and serve.
I always have to double this because my son will eat most of it on his own.
AlyssaN
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Angel chicken is a favorite around here.
1-2 lb chicken breasts or tenderloins, or boneless thighs
1 small can golden mushroom soup
1 packet dry Italian dressing
8 oz softened cream cheese
4TBSP sour cream
1/2c milk
1 1/2 c chicken broth
3TBSP minced garlic
4TBSP butter

In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat, add garlic and stir about a minute, enjoying the smell of Olive Garden in your own kitchen.
Add soup and cream cheese, stirring until mixed and melted. Stir in milk, broth, sour cream, and Italian dressing. Stir until all is blended. Add chicken and cover, stirring occasionally until meat is done.
While chicken is cooking, boil large pot of water and cook a pound of angel hair pasta. Drain and add to large platter and pour chicken over top.
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Easy Italian Sausage Lasagna
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2258,152186-232203,00.html

1 lb. BOB EVANS® Italian Roll Sausage
1 (26 oz.) jar pasta sauce
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (8 oz.) package oven ready lasagna noodles
1 (15 oz.) container ricotta cheese
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a skillet, crumble and cook sausage over medium heat until brown. Remove from heat and stir in pasta sauce and tomato sauce.

In small bowl, combine ricotta cheese and Italian seasoning. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread 1 cup sauce into bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Top with 3 noodles. Cover noodles with 1/3 of ricotta cheese mixture, 1 cup of mozzarella and 1 cup sauce. Repeat layers two more times. Add last 3 noodles. Top lasagna with remaining sauce and with remaining mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan over mozzarella.

Cover and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until noodles are tender. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes to melt cheese.

Makes 8 servings.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I made lasagna, garlic bread, & green beans a couple days ago. The green beans were Italian style seasoned with garlic/butter. It was a two layer lasagna with less sauce & more cheese - such a good meal!

I plan on making Mongolian beef & noodles in a few days.

shyannsmomma
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

My family loooves manicotti. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/manicotti/

Stephanie3804
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Crockpot Lasagna

Ingredients

pound bulk Italian sausage
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
cans (15 ounces each) Italian-style tomato sauce
teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2
teaspoon salt
cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
container (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
cup grated Parmesan cheese
uncooked lasagna noodles
  • 1 Cook sausage and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, basil and salt.
  • 2 Mix 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses. (Refrigerate remaining mozzarella cheese while lasagna cooks.)
  • 3 Spoon one-fourth of the sausage mixture into 6-quart slow cooker; top with 5 noodles, broken into pieces to fit. Spread with half of the cheese mixture and one-fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with 5 noodles, remaining cheese mixture and one-fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with remaining 5 noodles and remaining sausage mixture.
  • 4 Cover and cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until noodles are tender.
  • 5 Sprinkle top of lasagna with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into pieces.
dommad2
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Mobile Photo

Baked Ziti

Ingredients

1 pound dry ziti pasta

1 onion, chopped

1 pound lean ground beef

2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce

6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced

1 1/2 cups sour cream

6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.
dandylynes
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't actually have a recipe for this, but it's a really easy and quick meal.

Tortellini with Bacon Sauce

I cut up 1/2 pound of bacon into 1 inch pieces and fry it up in a skillet.  I drain off the grease, but leave the scrapings in the pan.  I pour in spaghetti sauce and let it simmer a bit.  Meanwhile I bring the tortellini to a boil as directed on the package.  When that is done, I stir it into the sauce, then add the bacon.

Done and delicious!  I serve it with a salad usually and homemade bread.

907PickleMom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Manicotti! So easy!
1 box stuffable shells or manicotti noodles cooked and drained.
1 large tub ricotta cheese
1 package frozen spinach thawed & drained
1 egg
1tbs or one clove garlic/garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
3/4 lbs-1 lbs mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
I had marinara sauce.

Mix spices, ricotta cheese, egg, spinach, parmesan in a bowl
Stuff shells or noodles with filling. Pour a small amount in the bottom of a 9X13 pan. Line stuffed shells/noodles up in the bottom of the pan. Cover with mozzarella cheese and bake 45 min at 350
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Oooh, my favorite pasta dish right now, courtesy of the Pioneer Woman!! It's great that my entire family loves it and it's one of those dishes that can be prepared in advance or saved for leftovers.  It's definitely tasiter the next day :)

Sour Cream Noodle Bake

TPW_9464

Ingredients

• 1-1/4 pound Ground Chuck
  • 1 can 15-ounces Tomato Sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 8 ounces, weight Egg Noodles
  • 1/2 cup Sour Cream
  • 1-1/4 cup Small Curd Cottage Cheese
  • 1/2 cup Sliced Green Onions (less To Taste)
  • 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain fat, then add tomato sauce. 1/2 teaspoon salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Stir, then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.

Cook egg noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Add to noodles and stir. Add green onions and stir.

To assemble, add half of the noodles to a baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture, then sprinkle on half the grated cheddar. Repeat with noodles, meat, then a final layer of cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until all cheese is melted.

Serve with crusty French bread.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)