Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe Box Challenge Day 5: Vegetarian!

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM
  • 126 Replies
2 moms liked this
Welcome to Day 5 of the Recipe Box Challenge! Each day we'll give you a new food theme to add to our recipe box!

Your theme for today is: Vegetarian.

Remember, you don't have to cook something each day -- though of course we'd love to see pictures if you whip something up! You can do any of the following:

• Post a photo and include a recipe of a dish you've made in the past that fits the theme.
  • Post a photo and include a recipe you've seen online, that you'd like to try based on the theme.
  • Post a recipe based on the theme even if you don't have a photo.
  • Post a recipe and/or idea for leftovers based on the theme.

apron

Be sure to come back and check out this post when you need ideas for vegetarian recipes!

One member who signs up for our Recipe Box Challenge and replies to all 10 daily posts will be chosen at random to win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

Join Our Recipe Box Challenge! WIN a $25 gift card and lots of other PRIZES!

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this
I have a mixed veggie cheese soup that we all like. It's a bag of mixed veggies (I use broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) that been boiled with macaroni and add water and Velveeta cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and serve.
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Yay Vegetarian, I've been waiting for this one! Mostly because I don't have any good recipes. My only veg things are mac and cheese and lasagna, simple stuff like that. I'd love something not loaded with cheese.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I have made this, it was very good.

Onion and Mushroom Quinoa

Onion and Mushroom Quinoa

Betty Crocker's Heart Healthy Cookbook shares a recipe! This delicious quinoa and vegetables side dish recipe is easy to make and is ready in just 30 minutes.

Ingredients

1 teaspoon canola or soybean oil
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 small onion, cut into fourths and sliced
1 medium carrot, shredded (2/3 cup)
1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (about 2 1/2 ounces)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can (14 ounces) fat-free vegetable broth
  •   Heat oil in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook quinoa and onion in oil 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown.
  •   Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork.
KittyGram
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM

This has become one of my new favorites.  I love lentils!!!

Red Curry Lentils

Pinchofyum.com

Prep time:  15 mins  Cook time:  30 mins  Total time:  45 mins

Serves: 6

1½ cups lentils, rinsed and picked over

½ large onion, diced

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons red curry paste

½ tablespoon garam masala

1 teaspoon curry powder

½ teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon minced ginger

a few good shakes of cayenne pepper

1 14 ounce can tomato puree

¼ cup coconut milk or cream

cilantro for garnishing

rice for serving

Cook the lentils according to directions. Drain and set aside.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until fragrant and golden. Add all the spices (curry paste, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, sugar, garlic, ginger) and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce; stir and simmer until smooth.

Add the lentils and the cream. Stir to combine and simmer for another 15-20 minutes (the longer, the better)! Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.

KittyGram
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM

My daughter found this recipe right before her first vegetarian Thanksgiving.  She's no longer vegetarian, but this has become a regular holiday dish for us.

Wild Mushroom-Potato Gratin

www.cookingclub.com

1 oz. dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon butter
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 cups whipping cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled, thinly sliced (1/4 inch)
1/4 cup (1 oz.) shredded Asiago cheese

Place mushrooms in small bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes or until softened. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup mushroom liquid. Rinse mushrooms under water to remove any sediment. If using shiitakes, remove and discard stems. Slice mushrooms.

Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 6-cup gratin or 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 30 to 40 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in mushrooms, cream, 1/4 cup reserved mushroom liquid, salt and pepper. Add potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.

Carefully spoon mixture into gratin dish. (Recipe can be made to this point up to 24 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Baking time may need to be increased 5 to 10 minutes.) Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and sauce has thickened. Let stand 10 minutes.

6 servings

PER SERVING: 390 calories, 28 g total fat (17.5 g saturated fat), 6 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 100 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 2.5 g fiber

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM

This sounds good but I have a stupid question. Is the whipping cream - whipped cream that you would put on top of a dessert? I have a feeling it's not but Idk what whipping cream is lol.

Quoting KittyGram:

My daughter found this recipe right before her first vegetarian Thanksgiving.  She's no longer vegetarian, but this has become a regular holiday dish for us.

www.cookingclub.com

1 tablespoon butter
2 cups whipping cream
3/4 teaspoon salt

Place mushrooms in small bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes or until softened. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup mushroom liquid. Rinse mushrooms under water to remove any sediment. If using shiitakes, remove and discard stems. Slice mushrooms.

Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 6-cup gratin or 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 30 to 40 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in mushrooms, cream, 1/4 cup reserved mushroom liquid, salt and pepper. Add potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.

Carefully spoon mixture into gratin dish. (Recipe can be made to this point up to 24 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Baking time may need to be increased 5 to 10 minutes.) Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and sauce has thickened. Let stand 10 minutes.

6 servings

PER SERVING: 390 calories, 28 g total fat (17.5 g saturated fat), 6 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 100 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 2.5 g fiber

KittyGram
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Creamy Wild Mushroom Pasta
found on www.sparkpeople.com, originally from www.caring4cancer.com

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 ounces wild mushrooms, using as many different kinds as you wish

1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried ground rosemary

1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
12 ounces uncooked whole-grain pasta, or wheat, spelt, buckwheat, kamut or rye

Bring a large pot of water to boil while preparing the other ingredients.

Clean and coarsely chop the mushrooms.  Mince the garlic and grate the fresh parmesan cheese.

In a deep skillet or stove-top pan, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat until the garlic just turns golden.  Add low-sodium vegetable broth and mushrooms; return mixture to a simmer (low boil).  Add rosemary, thyme, black pepper, and half of the parmesan cheese and stir.

Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to instructions.  While pasta is cooking, stir mushroom mixture at a simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.  Very carefully remove approximately 1 cup of mushrooms and broth and place in a blender.  Remember, it's HOT.  Very carefully blend the mushrooms and broth. Use a lid on the blender; place the lid lightly and lift several times to vent the steam as you blend. This will prevent the lid from blowing off the blender due to steam buildup.
Return blended mushrooms and broth to pan; stir to combine with mushroom mixture. Reduce heat until pasta is ready.

Drain pasta and mix pasta and mushroom sauce together. Stir to combine ingredients and coat pasta.

Dish onto plates and sprinkle each serving with a bit of the remaining parmesan cheese.

Per serving*: 458 calories; 73 grams of carbohydrates; 19 grams of protein; 10 grams of fat; 10 grams of fiber; 130 milligrams of potassium; 570 milligrams of sodium

KittyGram
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

You can get whipping cream in the dairy section - I always find it right next to the milk, in cartons.  I think they're 16 oz. cartons.  It IS the same stuff that you could use on desserts, the only difference is, this hasn't been sweetened yet.  When you use it as "whipped cream" on desserts, you whip it yourself, and add your sweetener.  For this recipe, though, you just use it right out of the carton. 

This is a wonderful dish, very rich and creamy.  The only complaints I've ever heard are from people that don't like mushrooms - they won't even try it, of course, and when they hear others' comments, I think they're wishing I'd make it without the mushrooms.  It wouldn't work though, it's got that woody flavor that the mushrooms give to it. 

Quoting goddess99:

This sounds good but I have a stupid question. Is the whipping cream - whipped cream that you would put on top of a dessert? I have a feeling it's not but Idk what whipping cream is lol.

Quoting KittyGram:

www.cookingclub.com

1 tablespoon butter
2 cups whipping cream
3/4 teaspoon salt

6 servings

KittyGram
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Pasta Fagioli (Pasta and Beans)
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 5

· Serving Size: about 2 cups • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts

Calories: 254.5

· Fat: 3.4 g • Protein: 10.3 g • Carb: 47.5 g • Fiber: 6.8 g

1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 onion

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 celery stalk, chopped

1 carrot, finely chopped

1 15 oz can cannellini beans

15 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes

1 large bay leaf

1 tbsp basil

1 tbsp parsley

1 tsp oregano

2 (14 oz each) cans fat free chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarians)

2 cups water

salt and pepper to taste

6 oz dry Ditalini pasta or other small pasta

grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional)

In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.

Blend the can of beans with one can water in electric blender until almost smooth.

Add blended beans to pan then add the can of tomato sauce, celery, carrots, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water and bring to slow boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese (extra).

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. I'm going to try this and a couple other recipes you posted =)

Quoting KittyGram:

You can get whipping cream in the dairy section - I always find it right next to the milk, in cartons.  I think they're 16 oz. cartons.  It IS the same stuff that you could use on desserts, the only difference is, this hasn't been sweetened yet.  When you use it as "whipped cream" on desserts, you whip it yourself, and add your sweetener.  For this recipe, though, you just use it right out of the carton. 

This is a wonderful dish, very rich and creamy.  The only complaints I've ever heard are from people that don't like mushrooms - they won't even try it, of course, and when they hear others' comments, I think they're wishing I'd make it without the mushrooms.  It wouldn't work though, it's got that woody flavor that the mushrooms give to it. 

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting KittyGram:

www.cookingclub.com

1 tablespoon butter
2 cups whipping cream
3/4 teaspoon salt

6 servings

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)