Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

LOW On Cash~I need Very Cheap Meal Ideas Please

I am working to plan our menu for the next couple of weeks but we are in a crunch and need to feed our family of 6 (us and 4 teens) on a very low budget for the next 2 weeks. We can buy one thing of cheap meat if we need to, like maybe a bag of chicken that can be used for a couple of meals. For the most part, I need to just get some good ideas for cheap, meatless meals. Can anyone give me some good ideas PLEASE?

Click my tag to follow me to:

Living In the Arms of Jesus:

Where we PLAY, PRAY and LEARN Together.

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I'm not a whole lot farther north....could you bring me some?  Please? embarrassed

Quoting ripemango:

save the leftover chicken parts that aren't eaten...skin, bones, etc and boil the mess out of it. cook a bag of lentils in that. lentils are like the cheapest things ever. i like to eat chicken w a side of lentils even

if you live in or around B'ham, AL I would be more than willing to bring you guys some food: bacon, sausage, fruit, and rice

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I love pasta for cheap easy meals. A little shredded cheese on top and you are ready to go!

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh what about a big pot of ham and beans with cornbread? I buy ham when its discounted or on sale (big ham, bone in). Use the ham as the main meal first and the leftovers and bones for ham and beans. Then navy beans or pinto beans (or both and do half and half). That goes pretty far!

bunnyxlover
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

garlic noodles!

boil a pack of spaghetti and while thats cooking, chop up some garlic and onions, saute them in a pan with butter, add the noodles and cover with Parmesan  cheese, keep stirring till all the cheese is melted.  its tasty!

I also make a pot of tortilla soup when im broke and that normally feeds us for a few days.  I like to make mine really thick and hearty so its deff. filling :)

aodom323
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

my mom was a single mom since I was 5, well if we were tight on money she would make tuna noodle.  A box of elbow noodles, 2 cans of tuna, some mayo, a little bit of mustard and some seasonings.  Boil noodles, drain noodles when done, throw everything else in there and put in refrigerator til its cold (served better cold)  my mom would put relish in hers along with some carrots and that

mistknidentity
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Beans and rice. Cheap cheap cheap and you can make multiple things. Rice and bean burritos with homemade tortillas will cost you just a couple dollars for quite a few meals. Sorry your worried about this mama.
Teascha
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I made fried rice last night and everyone loved it. It is also very cheap to make! I used a bag of rice, a bag of frozen veggies and three eggs :) add a little soy sauce in the mix and you have cheap filling food! I work on a very small food budget and also eat pretty healthy. Sometimes it is difficult.
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

ramen noodle and add the spaghetti sauce to it.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

mashed potatoes with toppings

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

rice/veggie mix

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)