Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe Box Challenge Day 8: Breakfast!

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 86 Replies
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Day 8 of the Recipe Box Challenge! Each day we'll give you a new food theme to add to our recipe box!

Your theme for today is: Breakfast!

Remember, you don't have to cook something each day -- though of course we'd love to see pictures if you whip something up! You can do any of the following:

• Post a photo and include a recipe of a dish you've made in the past that fits the theme.
  • Post a photo and include a recipe you've seen online, that you'd like to try based on the theme.
  • Post a recipe based on the theme even if you don't have a photo.
  • Post a recipe and/or idea for leftovers based on the theme.

apron

Be sure to come back and check out this post when you need ideas for breakfast recipes!

One member who signs up for our Recipe Box Challenge and replies to all 10 daily posts will be chosen at random to win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

Join Our Recipe Box Challenge! WIN a $25 gift card and lots of other PRIZES!

by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
huntersmama711
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Found this on Pinterest. Mine doesn't look this good but tastes soooo good

Eta: Its cinnamon French toast bake
lillucky8
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

we aren't big breakfast ppl, but i do love a good homemade waffle with scrapple or bacon. dh insists on bisquick. i love my heart waffle iron, and to use the leftovers just pop them into the toaster! delish!

LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Mobile Photo

Our typical breakfast consists of one egg, a veggie and fruit but we sometimes enjoy home made taquitos with home made chicken sausage.
Alieda
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is a good orange smoothie to add to your breakfast meal.

Orange Smoothie

Creamy mixture of orange, vanilla, and almond.

Ingredients

Directions
  1. Mix together all of the ingredients except for the ice, in a blender for 30 seconds.
  2. Process mixture and slowly add 4 cups ice cubes until all the ice has been added and mixture is smooth.
Kimberly954
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

i have made this and its good!

Quoting huntersmama711:

Mobile Photo

Found this on Pinterest. Mine doesn't look this good but tastes soooo good

Eta: Its cinnamon French toast bake

Kimberly954
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I add either chocolate chips or blueberrys! Just sprinkle on top. You can even sprinkle half with one topping and the other half with something different.

Pancake Squares
3/4 cup milk
2 T. melted butter
1 large egg
1 T. sugar
1 cup flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, beat together milk, butter and egg. Add sugar, then gradually beat the flour in. Carefully stir in the baking powder and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serves 4-6.

Kimberly954
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 lbs of hash brown potatoes. (you can use frozen hash browns, just cook for 8-9 hours, instead of the 7-8)
  • 1 lb of bacon or veggie Morning Star bacon- cooked, drained and cut into pieces. (feel free to substitute with your favorite breakfast meat..sausage, ham, etc)
  • ½ cup onions – diced
  • 3 cups cheddar cheese – shredded
  • ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt & ½ tsp of pepper (I am recommending an additional pinch of salt and pepper for each layer of hash browns)
Instructions
  1. Beat 12 eggs until well blended.
  2. Next, beat in milk and garlic powder, mustard, 1 tsp salt & ½ tsp pepper. Set aside.
  3. Layer potatoes (I suggest to season each potato layer to taste…..a small pinch of salt and pepper) and sprinkle ⅓ of the onions.
  4. Next sprinkle ⅓ of the bacon.
  5. Last but not least, top with 1 cup of cheese.
  6. Repeat this layering 2 more times to have a total of 3 layers….ending with cheese.
  7. Take your egg mixture and pour over layers. For refrigerated hash browns, cook for 6-7 hours on low. For frozen hash browns, cook for 7-8 hours on low or until eggs are set.
OliviaW.
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Normally for breakfast we have cereal. Sometimes it's muffins or cinnamon rolls.
Kimberly954
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Cinnamon Rolls from Pioneer Woman - I do a powdered sugar & milk mix as a glaze. 

DOUGH:
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 pkg active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt

FILLING:
1 cup melted butter, plus more as needed
1/8 cup ground cinnamon for sprinkling
1 cup sugar, plus more as needed

Directions:
Mix milk, vegetable oil, and 1/2 cup of sugar in a pan. Scald the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point.) Remove from heat and let it cool 45 minutes to 1 hour.

When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in package Active Dry Yeast. Let this sit for a minute and then add 4 cups of flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.

Next, add 1/2 cup flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir mixture together. From here, you could cover the dough and put it in the fridge until you need it—overnight or even a day or two, if necessary. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to rise out of the pan, just punch it down. Or, of course, you can just go ahead and make the rolls.

Sprinkle surface generously with flour and roll the dough into a thin rectangular shape, about 1/4" thick. Brush melted butter on top, then sprinkle sugar over the butter, and finish with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.

Starting with the wide end, roll the dough tightly towards you in a neat line. Next, pinch the seam to the roll to seal it. Spread 1 tbsp of melted butter in each pan/dish. With a sharp knife, begin cutting the dough into 1 inch slices, and laying them in the pans. Let rest for 20-30 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 13 - 17 minutes, or until golden.

IF MAKING AHEAD FOR CHRISTMAS MORNING:   Instead of popping them into the oven, just put them straight  into the fridge and let them rise for the 2nd time in the fridge overnight (they'll rise VERY slowly in the fridge). Then, in the morning let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes, and then pop them in the oven as directed.
deadlights86
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

We're so boring. We usually just have cereal or scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)