Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week, May 5 : Tortellini

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 18 Replies

Tortellini are two small circles of pasta with a small bit of filling in the middle, which are then folded and pinched in on themselves. Tortellini are a traditional pasta in the Bologna region of Italy. They are often served in broth, rather like little dumplings. It is traditional to serve them this way on Christmas Eve. But they are also good with cream and butter, or in a tomato cream sauce.

Tortellini has a curious "history." Legend has it that tortellini were created as a tribute to Venus, the goddess of love.

Tortellini literally means the bellbutton of Venus (the Roman Goddess of Love, the Greek equivalent of Aphrodite) because of the shape of it.  As the legend goes, Venus and Jupiter were going to get together one night.  When Venus checked into the inn, the chef found out.  He went to her room, and peeked through the keyhole and saw Venus there laying half naked in bed on her back, and when the chef saw her navel, he was inspired to rush to the kitchen to create a stuffed pasta that looked like her navel, and you have the legend of the famous tortellina (tortellini is plural). 

Tortellini also said to be shaped after a priest's hat. 

Finally a third explanation claims that the tortellini reproduce the shape of a turtle in an effort to replicate the famous architectural features of Modena, where many 17th-century buildings allude to the turtle motif.

Packed, refrigerated or frozen, tortellini and tortelloni (similar but larger and with vegetable stuffing) appear in many locations around the world, especially where there are large Italian communities.

Do you like tortellini? How do you serve it?

by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on May. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Love it! I like it cold in a salad or hot with pasta sauce.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on May. 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Love it! I serve it in salad and sometimes soup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by Mandy on May. 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I love it, in sauce, salads and soups. Love those cute little buggers.

KristenFowles
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I do like tortellini.

I throw a bag of frozen tortellini, a bag of spinach, canned tomatoes, and cream cheese into my crock pot sometimes.. It's pretty yummy :)

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I make a tortellini salad with a sweet macerated fresh tomato dressing. It was something that was served at a bistro that I figured out how to duplicate the dressing.

I add it to soups and love it with alfredo sauce.

AydensMommy1008
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I just boil them and throw some pasta or alfredo sauce on top, simple and soooo YUMMY!! :)

babynurse244
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I have a great tortellin recipe I'll post.

Jubileee
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this
We just had some cheese stuffed last.week with some spaghetti sauce, salad and bread sticks!
KamsOne
by Jen on May. 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I love tortellini!!  I like to add alfredo sauce to it.  Or simply butter and garlic.

KamsOne
by Jen on May. 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I have a great foil packet recipe that includes tortellini.  It's just chicken, tortellini and frozen veggies with a lemon pepper marinade.  Wrap it in foil and grill it (or you can bake them in the oven).  Yummy!  Great for camping!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)