Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week, May 19: Crabmeat

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 9 Replies

Crab Meat Nutrition

Crabmeat  is the meat found within a crab. It is used in many cuisines across the world, prized for its soft, delicate, sweet taste.

Nutrition

Crab is a type of shellfish that is a good source of high-quality protein. Crab meat is also very low in fat and calories. A 3-ounce serving of crab meat contains 80 to 90 calories and less than two grams of fat. In addition, crab meat provides an array of essential vitamins and minerals. Crab meat should be consumed in moderation because it does contain a high level of cholesterol.

While there are many subcategories and fine distinctions in the area of canned crabmeat, there are just a few main categories. Knowing these will help you save money when deciding what type of crabmeat to purchase for the meal you're planning.

(NOTE: These grades refer to pasteurized refrigerated canned crab, not the small shelf-stable cans that are found in the canned fish aisle.)

The Lump crabmeat grades are the most expensive, followed in order by Backfin, Special, and Claw

The best grade of Crab Meat is 'handpicked' - this refers to the method by which the crab has been processed (by hand) and ensures the flavour of the crab meat is unadulterated. By contrast 'machine processed crab' is produced by using water or air to blast the crab meat from the shell which had a detrimental effect on the flavor.

Colossal Lump and Jumbo Lump Crabmeat

Colossal lump (also known as Mega Jumbo or Super Jumbo) are the large chunks of meat that connect to the swimmer fins. There are only two of these muscles per crab, which is why it's so expensive (often $40-50 or more per pound.)

Jumbo Lump crabmeat chunks are the same two muscles, just from smaller crabs. Both are excellent for those times when you want great whacking hunks of crab to lift with your fingers and dip in butter or your sauce of choice.

Colossal and Jumbo have a fine texture and sweet taste that should be fully and consciously savored -- which is why they're not a great choice for crab cakes: the seasonings might overwhelm the delicate flavor and mixing the ingredients would break up the tender chunks. In other words, it would be a poor and pricey use of such a delicacy.

Crab Colossal

Lump Crabmeat

Lump grade crab consists of broken Jumbo lumps and large chunks of body meat. It's less expensive than the Colossal or Jumbo grades, but still has bright color and superb flavor. Lump crabmeat is best for fancy, impression-making dishes where appearance matters, like Butter-poached Crab or Crab Louis, where you want big, fork-friendly chunks. It's also the grade of choice for fine dining restaurant-quality crab cakes, as the chunks are large but will hold together with minimal binders.

Crab Lump

Backfin Crabmeat

Backfin grade is made up of smaller, broken chunks of Lump crabmeat mixed in with flakes of white body meat. It's less expensive than Lump crabmeat, but has good flavor and enough texture to look appealing in dishes where the crabmeat is somewhat visible, such as crab salads, pasta dishes, and conventional crab cakes.

Special Crabmeat

Special grade consists of smallish flakes of white crabmeat taken from the body cavity. It's best for dishes where good color and delicate flavor are more important than visual impact. Excellent for dips, bisques, omlettes, mayo-based salads, etc.

Claw Crabmeat

The least expensive and most flavorful grade, claw meat is pinkish-brown rather than white and has a hearty crab flavor that doesn't get lost under seasonings. Great for soups (such as this Manhattan Style Crab Chowder), crabmeat stuffing, tacos, stir-frys, etc.

Do you use crab meat? What kind do you like to use and what do you use it for?

by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jjamom
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I am Maryland girl, so I Iove crabs!!

The best is steamed crabs, pick and eat. But I also love crab dishes, like hot crab dip, crab cakes, omelettes with crab and Swiss cheese, crab risotto, chicken Chesapeake (a crab-topped chicken dish), crab stuffed shrimp or flounder. I could go on all day. I'd sound like the guy from Forrest Gump when he was talking about shrimp, LOL!
Kimberly954
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I love crabs but I like the big fat claws, not the skinny ones. And I dont remember what each is called....i think Snow Crab is the one i like.

I make a stuffed fish with crabmeat. Its very good! But usually i use packaged crab or Krab for that.

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I'm a Florida girl, and I love crabs as well. We catch blue crabs in pots in the river, so we have them a lot, usually to top salads, or in crab cakes or crab bisque or chowder.  I'd love to find some new ways to prepare them. Could you shared some of your recipes?

Quoting jjamom:

The best is steamed crabs, pick and eat. But I also love crab dishes, like hot crab dip, crab cakes, omelettes with crab and Swiss cheese, crab risotto, chicken Chesapeake (a crab-topped chicken dish), crab stuffed shrimp or flounder. I could go on all day. I'd sound like the guy from Forrest Gump when he was talking about shrimp, LOL!

PurpleCupcake
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I love crabs!

I also like the imitation as well...mix with cream cheese on a bagel or mix with mayo for a seafood sandwich.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on May. 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

not a seafood eater. Dh is though. 

periwinkle163
by Mandy on May. 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I love crabs!

I also like the imitation as well...mix with cream cheese on a bagel or mix with mayo for a seafood sandwich.

I agree, I also really like crabcakes.

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I've never had it.

arwalters
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Have some crab meat in the freezer I'm trying to think of what to do with. Made crab cakes last time
jjamom
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I will have to pull some out to share. I often cook by eyeballing things though, so I don't have standard recipes for some of the dishes, like the stuffed shrimp and flounder. Since the crab is cooked, I season, taste, adjust as I go!

Quoting SweetLuci:

I'm a Florida girl, and I love crabs as well. We catch blue crabs in pots in the river, so we have them a lot, usually to top salads, or in crab cakes or crab bisque or chowder.  I'd love to find some new ways to prepare them. Could you shared some of your recipes?

Quoting jjamom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)