Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tomato Gravy

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is an old fashioned recipe that my aunt gave me many years ago, it brings back memories for me.

Tomato Gravy

Oil or bacon grease
Flour
2 (or more) cans finely cut tomatoes
Salt, sugar

Put oil in a pan. Put a heaping tablespoon of flour in hot oil and brown lightly on low heat. Pour 2 or more cans of finely cut tomatoes in the pan. Take a potato masher and mash the tomatoes up. Pour enough water to make gravy. Season with salt and a tablespoon sugar. Cook about 10 to 15 minutes on low heat. This is good with meatloaf.

by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Interesting.

mamalynnsmith
by Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

My mother in law does this they like it over rice. I have made it also for my husband. My mother in law and i use tomatoes we have canned . We dont buy cans of tomatoes

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Home canned tomatoes are the best!

Quoting mamalynnsmith:

My mother in law does this they like it over rice. I have made it also for my husband. My mother in law and i use tomatoes we have canned . We dont buy cans of tomatoes

katielovesyou21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

my husband loves tomato gravy. It's supposedly a cajun thing.

Kimberly954
by Kim on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

One thing i wish i knew how to do was can. My DH tried to set me up with a lady who said she would teach me but i never followed through and i should have!!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting mamalynnsmith:

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM

It would be great to have and experienced canner to show you, but that's not the only way to do it. Ball canning co. has great dependable information, including videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUFIkg39oM

Quoting Kimberly954:

One thing i wish i knew how to do was can. My DH tried to set me up with a lady who said she would teach me but i never followed through and i should have!!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting mamalynnsmith:

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM

That sounds good actually!

DragonInfinity
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

We have mashed tatars, okra, and tomato gravy EVERY summer/fall!!!!! The best meal ever!!!

Here's my granny's recipe:

Bacon grease

4-6 medium tomatoes (diced)

3-4 large green or yellow bell peppers (diced)

2-3 medium yellow onions (diced)

salt and pepper

pinch of sugar

Put bacon grease in skillet. Sautee tomatoes, peppers, and onions in skillet unti onions are clear. Add salt, pepper, and sugar. Let simmer for 10-15minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn. 

Serve with fried okra (or anything else!)!!! 

Only once we surrender to the Mystery can it reveal itself to us!!!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Yum!

Quoting DragonInfinity:

We have mashed tatars, okra, and tomato gravy EVERY summer/fall!!!!! The best meal ever!!!

Here's my granny's recipe:

Bacon grease

4-6 medium tomatoes (diced)

3-4 large green or yellow bell peppers (diced)

2-3 medium yellow onions (diced)

salt and pepper

pinch of sugar

Put bacon grease in skillet. Sautee tomatoes, peppers, and onions in skillet unti onions are clear. Add salt, pepper, and sugar. Let simmer for 10-15minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn. 

Serve with fried okra (or anything else!)!!! 

KamsOne
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Sounds good!  What else could you do with it besides serve it with meatloaf?  Would it be good over pasta?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)