Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

storing homemade baby food..

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 14 Replies

i bought some sweet potatoes and avocado's...

how can i store them?

how can i heat them up without a microwave?

Follow me on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/abbienkatelyn/

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mewebb82
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I usually use a microwave, but I had to figure it out when our microwave died 6 yrs. ago so I actually have a solution for you.
The avocados should be eaten fresh as they will brown, but you can cook the sweet potatoes and purée them in a food processor. Then freeze them in ice cube trays. When my microwave died, I put individual servings (2-3 cubes) in snack size plastic bags. That way I could take one bag out of the freezer as needed and just put it in a bowl of hot water for about 15-20 minutes to thaw.
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM

i can't give her the whole avocado.. cause its big one.. lol what else can i do with it? i don't have a food processor either.. gonna order a fresh food grinder..

Quoting mewebb82:

I usually use a microwave, but I had to figure it out when our microwave died 6 yrs. ago so I actually have a solution for you.
The avocados should be eaten fresh as they will brown, but you can cook the sweet potatoes and purée them in a food processor. Then freeze them in ice cube trays. When my microwave died, I put individual servings (2-3 cubes) in snack size plastic bags. That way I could take one bag out of the freezer as needed and just put it in a bowl of hot water for about 15-20 minutes to thaw.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM

just ordered a baby food processor

Kimberly954
by Kim on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Cut the avacado in half and twist. One half will remain with the seed. Put that half in a ziplock bag. It wont brown with the seed still attached.  then mush up what you want to give her. I throw avacado on my salads.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

i can't give her the whole avocado.. cause its big one.. lol what else can i do with it? i don't have a food processor either.. gonna order a fresh food grinder..

Quoting mewebb82:

Kimberly954
by Kim on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Baby food....with sweet potato just mush it with a fork and some water or breastmilk to thin it a little. Whatever you have left, throw it in ice cube trays and freeze, then pop them out and put them in ziplock baggies. When you need one, toss a cube in a bowl and put it in the microwave.

Kimberly954
by Kim on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

One final thing.....i have yet to bust out my food processor for ds. I give him crackers, puffs, yogurt, smooshed up sweet potato, i throw mixed veggies or peas in the mesh baggie, cut mandarin oranges into 4 pieces (his new favorite)....I mainly use my food processor as kids get older and i want to chop up the meat. 

mewebb82
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
You can also mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or a fork. I just like the food processor because it is so much faster. You could feed her 1/2 the avocado and just leave the other half in the peel with the pit in and store it in a plastic bag or Tupperware in the fridge and just cut off the brown when you use the 2nd 1/2.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Quoting mewebb82:

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM

don't have a microwave.. will heating it up in the pan work well?

Quoting Kimberly954:

Baby food....with sweet potato just mush it with a fork and some water or breastmilk to thin it a little. Whatever you have left, throw it in ice cube trays and freeze, then pop them out and put them in ziplock baggies. When you need one, toss a cube in a bowl and put it in the microwave.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

this is one i ordered its just for baby food.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Maker/22879307

Quoting Kimberly954:

One final thing.....i have yet to bust out my food processor for ds. I give him crackers, puffs, yogurt, smooshed up sweet potato, i throw mixed veggies or peas in the mesh baggie, cut mandarin oranges into 4 pieces (his new favorite)....I mainly use my food processor as kids get older and i want to chop up the meat. 

Kimberly954
by Kim on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

hm, that small of an amount....not sure. In a microwave its literally just seconds. I would just make them fresh then whenever you guys eat then. Store leftovers in the fridge and then before serving, just set them out briefly so it gets to room temp (just to take the chill off). Babies dont care if their food is warm but they really dont like it ice cold.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

don't have a microwave.. will heating it up in the pan work well?

Quoting Kimberly954:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)