Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Red Curry Lentils

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

This was lunch today.  Yummmmmmmm!!!!  I've probably posted the recipe before - it's one I found last summer, and have made it just a few times (I double it and freeze some!), and each time I make it, I think it's even better than the time before.  I love curry dishes, and it's got just the right amount of curry and ginger for my taste!!! 

Don't let the curry scare you away, though, if you don't think you'd like it.  Curry in and of itself isn't necessarily spicy.  Curry powder is a blend of like 8 different spices, so it really depends on the blend itself.  Personally, I think it's more sweet than spicy.  And you can definitely cut the amount that you put in the recipe. 

Oh, and I just LOVE lentils, too!!!!  This is good over long grain white rice, jasmine rice, brown rice..... but it's just as wonderful without rice!

By my calculations, 1 serving, or 1/6 of this original recipe, has 145 calories, 5.4 g fat, 19.5 g carb, 6.7 g. protein, 6 g fiber.

Red Curry Lentils

Pinchofyum.com

Prep time:  15 mins  Cook time:  30 mins  Total time:  45 mins

Serves: 6

1½ cups lentils, rinsed and picked over

½ large onion, diced

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons red curry paste

½ tablespoon garam masala

1 teaspoon curry powder

½ teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon minced ginger

a few good shakes of cayenne pepper

1 14 ounce can tomato puree

¼ cup coconut milk or cream

cilantro for garnishing

rice for serving

Cook the lentils according to directions. Drain and set aside.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until fragrant and golden. Add all the spices (curry paste, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, sugar, garlic, ginger) and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce; stir and simmer until smooth.

Add the lentils and the cream. Stir to combine and simmer for another 15-20 minutes (the longer, the better)! Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This sounds so good! TYFS!!

KamsOne
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I've never cooked with curry because we don't like spicy and I always relate curry to spicy.  But if you say it's not....lol.  Maybe I'll give this a try!

KittyGram
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Quoting KamsOne:

I've never cooked with curry because we don't like spicy and I always relate curry to spicy.  But if you say it's not....lol.  Maybe I'll give this a try!

Like I said, it depends on the blend itself.  Madras curry is spicier than most that I've tried, so stay away from that one!!!!  Do some google searches to find a mild one!  (Google is my best friend sometimes!)

clowry02
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

sounds yummy

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I have not tried lentils yet...I'll have to try them sometimes.

arthistmom
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Love curry but don't like lentils. :-(
circle_of_life
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yum, I love curry and lentils!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)