Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easy, cheap recipes for large family ?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 31 Replies

I have a large family of 8 and we are all competitive martial artists so with training and classes and school and 6 kids and everything else. It's hard to quickly feed a family of 8 on a budget ! Recipes and ideas are appreciated and I'm addicted to my Slow Cooker ! Thanks !

~ Lindsey - Proud work at home mom of 6 ~

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joshsgirl12
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Shit on a biscut.. Biscuts, hamburger meat, cream of mushroon soup(2 or 3 cans for your famiky). Bake bicuts, browm meat drain, mix meat cream of mushroom soup and as much milk as soup, simmer on low till like gravy. Serve over biscuts you can also mix veggie with it.
AlyssaN
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Spaghetti, pulled pork (2-4 lb pork roast and BBQ sauce in slow cooker 8 hr on low), homemade potato salad, big salads with meat added, taco soup (chicken broth, diced up chicken breast, diced tomatoes with their juice, corn, black beans, and taco and dry ranch seasoning packets).
Look at taste of home and check out their cooking for a crowd recipes. Some of them are awesome since you can reheat leftovers the next night.
Hoevegirl1986
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

bump

kgray2451
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM
That sounds so good hoshsgirl got to try it
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM

shredded bbq chicken in your slow cooker, lasagnas, if you need something "on the go' you could make taco bags: doritos in the bag smashed up, add ground meat, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, and a little salsa or hot sauce or whatever you add to your tacos. They just need a fork, you eat right out of the bag.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I love pasta dishes for feeding a lot of people on the cheap.

mama-mialisia
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I make a version of this with Jimmy Dean sausage. We call it SOS  .... S*** on a shingle. I put it over toast. Sometimes we use biscuits. It's an old Army meal.

Quoting joshsgirl12:

Shit on a biscut.. Biscuts, hamburger meat, cream of mushroon soup(2 or 3 cans for your famiky). Bake bicuts, browm meat drain, mix meat cream of mushroom soup and as much milk as soup, simmer on low till like gravy. Serve over biscuts you can also mix veggie with it.

~ Lindsey - Proud work at home mom of 6 ~    My Website

mama-mialisia
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I've got to come up with some new ones though. I am so sick of spaghetti ! lol

Quoting periwinkle163:

I love pasta dishes for feeding a lot of people on the cheap.

~ Lindsey - Proud work at home mom of 6 ~    My Website

mama-mialisia
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my gosh ! The taco bags are a fabulous idea !!! Especially on tournament days when we are traveling ! Thanks !

Quoting goddess99:

shredded bbq chicken in your slow cooker, lasagnas, if you need something "on the go' you could make taco bags: doritos in the bag smashed up, add ground meat, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, and a little salsa or hot sauce or whatever you add to your tacos. They just need a fork, you eat right out of the bag.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)