Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Food: Lost and ashamed. Please help

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've gained some weight. So naturally, I've started looking into what I can do to eat healthier. If you had asked me a year ago if I eat healthy, I would tell you 'yes, reasonably'. Meaning that I tend to cook at home for my family and we have things like McDonald's only occasionally. The more I'm learning about food and how it's processed, the more I'm seeing that my meals as a child came from a can and I'm passing that onto my children. 

My kids know that if someone is eatting a salad then they are dieting. And I'm ashamed. Typical meals in the house I grew up in were speghetti (totally from boxes and cans) and frozen pot pies with ice cream for dessert. I ate my first radish about a year ago. I want to do the right thing but I have no idea what I'm doing.

The internet is great but I'm overwhelmed. What do you cook that is healthy? I'm looking for meals that aren't over seasoned (because frankly I don't think my family could handle it). Also, I don't even know what seasoning is in the tacos that I make on a weekly basis. I just buy the packet of McKormick that says 'Taco' on it. I'm looking for meals that use fresh produce but aren't very expensive. I want the veggies to be the main focus of the meal but I have no idea how to do that and still make sure that my family is getting enough protein. 

Also, what is your shopping list like? and How often do you go? I have no idea how to turn veggies into a meal rather than a side dish. I'm also worried that I'll buy too much and have to throw a lot of expensive food away.

Is there anyone out there that can teach me how to really cook?

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I eat alot or rice, I cook rice in a vegetable broth and heat up black beans (or serve room temp), corn, shredded lettuce, salsa, wrapped in a spinach tortilla. I also eat alot of fruit, some veggies, but I prefer fruit. You could do a stir-fry, that's mostly veggies. I'm mostly vegan so I've had to learn and am still learning. I do 1 big shopping trip a week and pick up more fruit once or twice a week. If you wash them in water and vinegar they last longer.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hi, I need to improve in the healthy area myself but I googled this link for 5 ingredient healthy recipes.
http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/5-ingredient-healthy-recipes-00400000053319/

MrsLondon
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Very good post and question. I mostly only use veggies as side. We are meat eaters. I have started substituting some things that I used to use. No more white pasta. Whole wheat only. Whole wheat breads. Low fat cheese, fat free sour cream, frozen yogurt instead of ice cream, homemade sauces for my pastas, fresh onions, tomatoes, garlic, herbs. I made those small changes and in combination with exercise my dh has lost 20lbs. I stopped buying boxed pancakes and started mking them myself. That way you can gauge what's in it. Type of flour, oil, milk etc. 

I watch the juice we drink. Looking for the awful ingredients in them to avoid that juice is helpful. That cut out a lot of choices though. So mainly white grape juice, cranberry juice, and orange juice lol.

I make my own soups from scratch. Low sodium and fat free broth is something good to keep in the house. Small things really.

I like to watch what we eat but I know I could go more extreme. I just choose to pick my battles with that. GL!

Kimberly954
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Well, i think it needs to be a slow introduction or you will be throwing away a lot. I feed both my kids the same foods we eat. And we are meat eaters so we dont do veggies as the main course. Tonight we had baked fish, mixed veggies, and rice. With my 3 year old she gets fruit at every lunch and dinner. I stop at the farm stand and let her help me pick out what fruits she wants that week. My 3 year old will eat "salad" but its modified....she hates lettuce so i just cut up the veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, red peppers, etc), top with dressing and some cheese.

How old are your kids?? I am not a big stickler for what everyone eats for lunch. We do get fast food or sandwiches pretty often. Today we went out for lunch and on the kids menu was mac and cheese and pizza but my 3 year old chose the popcorn shrimp with applesauce. Breakfast and dinner are always homemade. I make big batches of muffins - pumpkin and zucchini are my families favorites - and freeze them. Then they can pick whatever flavor they want in the morning.

Kimberly954
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

By the way - here are some healthy options that do not require any work:

I freeze those yogurt tubes for frozen yogurt "popcicles"

String cheese, fruit (grapes, melon, berries, whatever), veggies and dip (hummus or ranch), peanut butter and crackers

KamsOne
by Jen on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Cooking from scratch is a great way to ensure you are eating healthier.  I know it's time consuming but it is cheaper and healthier.  

We are meat eaters so I don't really have any veggie main dishes.  But some that you could do are portabella burgers instead of using ground beef.  Eggplant parm instead of chicken.  Mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.  Use spaghetti squash instead of pasta.

If you are trying to eat less meat, beans are a great substitute.

shirleywiley
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the posts. I'll definitely give it a try. The reason that I'm looking for some non meat meals is so that we can have 1 or 2 a week and cut down on the amount of meat we eat. I'm pretty sure for most meats a serving for an adult is only about 120grams. We eat way more than that.

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

The main thing that we do as a family to eat healthy is to always have fresh fruit and veggies on hand. My kiddos love raw veggies. Bell peppers, baby carrots, and cucumbers are a few favorites. I will serve both fruits and veggies raw as a side dish because that's how we prefer both.

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Also there is no need to feel ashamed, a lot of us grew up that way, and it's hard to break habits formed during childhood, you can do this, and you and your family will be the better for it!

ReniaEats
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I would highly recommend picking up a copy of Cheap Apetit (it's written by a Canadian, thus the spelling) and start there. She does cooking from scratch  inexpensively and really accessibly. It is a good place to start with healthy eating that won't shock your family too much and then you can add in more changes over time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN