Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Does your family pass on recipes through the generations?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 18 Replies

Does your family pass on recipes through the generations?

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Mine doesn't but I wish I got my grandmother's cole slaw recipe before she passed away.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes, lots of recipes have been passed down, and now when there's a wedding in the family, we make a cookbook for the bride and contact everyone invited and ask for a favorite recipe, so they have recipes from both sides of the family, and from friends as well. 

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM
My Aunt made a cookbook a few years ago with some of our family recipes. Some as far back as two of my Great Grandmothers. That's my Dad's side. On my Mom's side, we just tend to pass them down through hands on teaching.
KamsOne
by Jen on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

That is such a great idea!!  I'd love to have a cookbook full of all our family's best recipes.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Yes, lots of recipes have been passed down, and now when there's a wedding in the family, we make a cookbook for the bride and contact everyone invited and ask for a favorite recipe, so they have recipes from both sides of the family, and from friends as well. 

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Oh yeah!

slightlyperfect

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

not really.. or that i know of. lol

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

A distant cousin published a book about our family history, and it has loads of those family recipes in it.  What a treasure!  However, when both of my grandmothers died SOME a-hole in the family managed to get rid of their recipes before they even asked me. (Yes, they're on my S-list) 

A lot of what gets passed down is stuff there's no actual "recipe" for.  You watch and learn.  Taste test.  Try your hand at it.  Taste test again.  Suddenly, you're re-creating something everyone attributes to a beloved family cook.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Well we used to until my grandma's recipes went missing after we cleaned out her house =/

momofjkkc
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Not really. On my moms side , my gramma couldnt cook to save her life, my mom didnt like to cook. On my dads side, tbey were more open the fridge and toos stuff in kinda people. But from what my dads says my grand parents food was amazing. My dad and I share recipes from time to time.
mo75
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I literally had to beg my grandma on her death bed, the next day she finally gave me all the ones that weren't written down & told me to take the book of the others that were written. She passed less than 2 days after that.
I have since been creating a book with a pictures of the dish & the family meal that it is served at. I will be printing a copy for each of my children.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)