Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

First time Chili HELP!!!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

I want to make a simple and yummy chili. Ive never made chili before and I have a couple picky eaters that may or may not eat it spicy...all the online recipies that ive found are a bit weird in one way or another...so ladies what is your tried and true, classic, never fail chili recipies??

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Mine is considered lazy man's chili.
1 1/2 lbs brown hamburger
1 pint salsa
1 can or pint of diced tomatoes

While I'm browning the hamburger I add salt, pepper and chili powder to it. I do this to taste. Then drain and add the salsa and tomatoes. You can also add boiled noodles if you wish too. I normally cook it in the crock pot for about 4 to 6 hours on low but you can do it over the stove. I don't add beans but you can.
periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I use browned and drained hamburger seasoned with garlic, pepper, chili powder, and cumin. to that I add 1 regular can of petite diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 large can of tomato sauce, and 1 drained can of kidney beans. I then season it again to taste while it is simmering. You can totally just use regular diced tomatoes to lessen the kick though. My kids love chili, I usually serve it with cornbread and saltines.

MsEmma88
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quoting periwinkle163:

I use browned and drained hamburger seasoned with garlic, pepper, chili powder, and cumin. to that I add 1 regular can of petite diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 large can of tomato sauce, and 1 drained can of kidney beans. I then season it again to taste while it is simmering. You can totally just use regular diced tomatoes to lessen the kick though. My kids love chili, I usually serve it with cornbread and saltines.

Thank you! I was hoping to find something where I wouldnt have to buy anything lol. I only have a bag of dried kidney beans though, so I think I will have to alter it a bit to get the beans cooked...
Rachael-Dawn
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Not sure if mine is really simple but....

3 pounds of browned ground deer or beef if you prefer (my ONLY for chili)

a can of kidney beans
A can of navy beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes (I like the garlic onion)
A whole yellow onion diced
4 cloves of garlic diced
A teaspoon or two of salt
2 to 3 packets of chili seasoning (depends on my mood)

(Oops forgot) a can of tomato paste

Cook on in crockpot 4 or 5 hours. Never fails. I serve it to my boys with some shredded cheese and tortilla scoops.
tiniowien
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM

My grandmas recipie

1-2lbs ground beef

1 large can of tomato sauce 

1 can of mild chili beans, or kidney beans 

1 large can of tomatoes diced, or crushed (can also use fresh)

1 large onion diced (optional)

2 cloves of garlic crushed and minced (optional)

brown the hamburger and drain. Pour in the sauce and tomatoes with the beef let simmer. Add onions, garlic, and beans let simmer for 20minutes to an hour.

tiniowien
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

My family also adds on shredded cheese to the top of the chili.

Kimberly954
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

This is what i do except also add a tbsp chili powder and a tsp cumin. it goes into the crockpot and cooks on low all day. :)

To add a bit of kick, instead of tomato sauce use Clamato (the tomato juice you use for bloody marys.)

Quoting tiniowien:

My grandmas recipie

1-2lbs ground beef

1 large can of tomato sauce 

1 can of mild chili beans, or kidney beans 

1 large can of tomatoes diced, or crushed (can also use fresh)

1 large onion diced (optional)

2 cloves of garlic crushed and minced (optional)

brown the hamburger and drain. Pour in the sauce and tomatoes with the beef let simmer. Add onions, garlic, and beans let simmer for 20minutes to an hour.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I've only made white chicken chili. It was really good. Recipe is on the back of the minced onions McCormick brand
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I have the simplest recipe of all.

Open one can of Armour's Chili Beans.  Dump in pot.  Heat.  Eat.

embarrassed

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Cook the beans first, separately, then add to the rest of the ingredients.

Quoting MsEmma88:

Quoting periwinkle163:

Thank you! I was hoping to find something where I wouldnt have to buy anything lol. I only have a bag of dried kidney beans though, so I think I will have to alter it a bit to get the beans cooked...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)