Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This site is AWESOME for kids lunch ideas!!!! And there are very few sandwiches involved.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mslil65/sets/72157601755804789/with/1719666869/

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Quoting yperez0209:

I can't even imagine trying to do this for five kids. I feed my kids many of the same foods she's including in her bento boxes just not all at the same time :)

It's a cute idea just too much food.

We also buy in bulk so,  I would need a pantry the size of my kitchen to hold that many items. 

Actually I make 6 boxes the night before 3 breakfast, 3 lunch.Takes me about 15mins or so and thats with 4 boxes being larger as they r for dh and myself. When I know im gonna make them for the week then I prep mostly everyt hi ng on sunday before so I put the carrots, grapes, cheese, ham etc everything on the same shelf. The more boxes I make at once the faster it goes becuase none of the ingredients get put up afterwards and cut pieces that dont fit into one fit into another. I thought it it would take forever the first time too but if you dont go overboard fancy then its just a s quick as making a sandwich.

marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Quoting frndlyfn:

My dd would not have time to eat half of what that mom packed for their child.  We usually stick to a juice box, entree and fruit or pretzels.

You should try making a bento box lunch at home one day this summer you would be surprised at how quickly they can eat through them, its up to you to know how much your kid eats so I pack my sons box really full because he devours his bento but my friends daughtdrs box is smaller since she gets full quicker.

coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I like the variety but that's a lot of food...and sugars.
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting frndlyfn:

My dd would not have time to eat half of what that mom packed for their child.  We usually stick to a juice box, entree and fruit or pretzels.

You should try making a bento box lunch at home one day this summer you would be surprised at how quickly they can eat through them, its up to you to know how much your kid eats so I pack my sons box really full because he devours his bento but my friends daughtdrs box is smaller since she gets full quicker.

maybe more of the smaller boxes rather than the larger ones would work.  We have been using a hot foods thermos so she can take her favorite hot foods along with fruit or pretzels.

marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Quoting frndlyfn:

Yeah definitly the sandwich storage boxes that they sell to protect kids sandwiches (you know the spiderman, princess) they sell at the dollar store along with 4 cupcake liners are the perfect size for the little ones. I just made his for tommorow, I made peanute butter and honey spiral rolls, raisins, and ham and cheese sticks. Small enough for him to eat quick, took me less than 5 mins and I know he will eat it all.

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yeah definitly the sandwich storage boxes that they sell to protect kids sandwiches (you know the spiderman, princess) they sell at the dollar store along with 4 cupcake liners are the perfect size for the little ones. I just made his for tommorow, I made peanute butter and honey spiral rolls, raisins, and ham and cheese sticks. Small enough for him to eat quick, took me less than 5 mins and I know he will eat it all.

I will definitely need to look into those.  It is our goal this summer to break her out of the pickiness and trying new foods.  Mind you most new foods she now likes are not lunch compatible lol like different flavors of gelato but hoping to get her to eat more veggies and such.

marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Quoting frndlyfn:

My son was really picky before I started bento boxing, for some reasonnhe will eat anything off a toothpick he thinks its hilarious. He swears he hates mushrooms and zucchini but I put them in his box and he eats them because I put them on a toothpick with cheese and ham and he doesnt even realize what it is lol. I swear this is why kids in japan eat squid and seaweed cause its so cute in the boxes lol.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM

thanks for the link! I'm sure my kids are getting sick of the same things. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM

We do the Bento boxes because she likes just a few bites of everything.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM

clever

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)