Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Help! Needing recipe idea's!

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 19 Replies

We are a 6 person family and in need of some super cheap dinner idea's. Anything welcome! Ds3 is allergic to tomatoes but I can improv with most things. Thanks in advance ladies!

sun

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I was going to say pasta, sloppy joes, this rice and bean wrap I make but everything has tomatoes. Hmm I'll have to think.

Rachael-Dawn
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I actually have an alternative recipe for red sauce using roasted red peppers and some seasonings and some lemon juice so I can flip virtually anything lol. I had to learn because tomatoes were everything in my cooking until we found out he was allergic. Where there are tomatoe chunks I sub with tangy roasted peppers as well. I would love to know about your bean wrap!

Quoting goddess99:

I was going to say pasta, sloppy joes, this rice and bean wrap I make but everything has tomatoes. Hmm I'll have to think.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM

It's pretty basic but I like it, it's black beans, rice, salsa, lettuce wrapped in a spinach tortilla.

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

I actually have an alternative recipe for red sauce using roasted red peppers and some seasonings and some lemon juice so I can flip virtually anything lol. I had to learn because tomatoes were everything in my cooking until we found out he was allergic. Where there are tomatoe chunks I sub with tangy roasted peppers as well. I would love to know about your bean wrap!

Quoting goddess99:

Rachael-Dawn
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
That sounds yummy! Tyfs

Quoting goddess99:

It's pretty basic but I like it, it's black beans, rice, salsa, lettuce wrapped in a spinach tortilla.

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

Quoting goddess99:

rhiannonaisling
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Depending on what you use lasagna can be relatively cheap and goes a long way and almost any pasta sauce can be used in place of tomato sauces. I use a little italian sausage, mushrooms, no boil noodles, pasta sauce, cheese and a mix of ricotta and cottage cheese. I'll add the exact recipe when I can get on my husbands computer where I have it saved.

Pasta, olive oil and lemon juice or pesto sauce or alfredo sauce, any meat or spices you desire.

Tacos are quick, cheap, and easy

burgers

Rachael-Dawn
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Mmmmm sounds yummy! Tyfs

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Depending on what you use lasagna can be relatively cheap and goes a long way and almost any pasta sauce can be used in place of tomato sauces. I use a little italian sausage, mushrooms, no boil noodles, pasta sauce, cheese and a mix of ricotta and cottage cheese. I'll add the exact recipe when I can get on my husbands computer where I have it saved.

Pasta, olive oil and lemon juice or pesto sauce or alfredo sauce, any meat or spices you desire.

burgers

rhiannonaisling
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Chicken Kielbasa
1 Kielbasa
1.5 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
1/2 med. brown/yellow onion
garlic, to taste
tarragon, to taste
oil, as needed (about 2-3 oz)
1 pt, chicken stock
flour, as needed
Precook chicken. Mince garlic, onion and tarragon. Slice kielbasa and cube chicken. Put oil in bottom of pan and add garlic; brown. Add kielbasa; brown. Add onion cook about 5 min. Add chicken stock, reserving 4-5 oz, and cook for 20 minutes. Add more garlic, to taste. Add tarragon to taste (about 1-2 TBSP). Add flour to the reserved chicken stock and stir. Add to the pan. Boil until thick. Add chicken. Serve over Rice.

White Chicken Enchiladas
3.5 lbs cooked chicken breast halves, cut into bite size cubes
1 4oz can green Ortega chilies
2 c. sour cream
2 10.75oz cans Cream of chicken soup
1 4oz can sliced olives
1 lb Monterey jack cheese
12 10or12 in flour tortillas
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 9-13 in pan. Cube the chicken. Mix together chilies, sour cream, soup, olives, and 1/2 of cheese. Divide mixture in 1/2. To 1/2 of the mix add the chicken. Spoon chicken and mix into center of each tortilla and roll up placing in pan. Cover enchiladas with the other 1/2 of the mix and add remaining on top.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes until heated through
if frozen about 1hr 15 min in preheated 350 degree oven.
If the cheese on the enchiladas is browning to fast, cover with tin foil that has been sprayed with cooking oil on the downward facing side.
Serve with refried beans.

Mom's Lasagna (Makes 2 pans)
20 servings
1 lb hot or mild bulk Italian Sausage
2 jars Any Spaghetti or Alfredo Sauce
2 lbs mozzarella cheese
1 c ricotta
1 c cottage cheese
1 egg
1tsp Italian seasoning
1 can sliced black olives
1/2c parmesan cheese
12 no boil lasagna noodles (for 2 layers. Increase by 12 for every 2 layers desired. so for 4 layers use 24 and so on.
1 c shredded zucchini, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Brown Italian sausage and crumble. Combine sausage and sauce. Heat through. *Combine mozzarella cheese with shredded zucchini. Combine cottage cheese, egg, ricotta cheese and seasons. Place in both 9x13 pans a thin layer of sauce and sausage mix. Then place a single layer of no boil noodles. On top of the noodles spread a layer of the ricotta mix. Top that with a thin layer of mozzarella. Repeat for the desired number of layers of noodles. (If more than 2-3 noodle layers then increase recipe to adjust for desired number) When you have achieved the desired number of layers top the lasagna with the remaining mozzarella cheese, olives and parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the lasagna is baked through. It takes about 1 hour 15 minutes if baking straight from the freezer. If cheese is browning too fast you made need to cover with tinfoil sprayed with oil and placed oil side down on pan.
*Note that the zucchini can be added to the sausage and sauce mixture instead of to the mozzarella cheese.
Serve with a green salad and French or Garlic Bread.

Zuppa Toscana
1 lb Italian sausage (I like hot but my family prefers mild sausage sometimes I do ½ and ½) 
2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups kale, chopped
16oz chicken stock
1 quart water
1 can evaporated milk
Directions:
Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces. Brown sausage in your soup pot. Set to side and place onions, potatoes, and garlic in pot. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are nearly done. Add chicken broth, sausage and water to pot and stir. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until potatoes are finished. Turn to low heat. Add kale and cream. Heat through and serve approximately another 30 minutes. Serves at least 5-6.

Here are the recipes. These are all favorites in my house and the lasagna and enchiladas make extra. I think the lasagna cost between 25-30 to make but we get 3-4 meals out of it for 5 (and my kids eat like pro athletes!). The white chicken enchiladas costs about 20 dollars (both this and the lasagna cook well from frozen) and can spread to 3-4 meals. And the chicken kielbasa (my mom made the recipe up) is wonderful (we usually get two meals from this when served with rice, vegetables and a salad). The zuppa toscana is really easy and costs about 15 bucks to make and tastes amazingly like Olive Gardens. It goes really well with salad or the lasagna or any pasta.

Forgot to mention that I  add a single layer of uncooked sliced mushrooms to the lasagna and that if you make both the zuppa toscana and the lasagna then you can 1/2 and 1/2 the mild and spicy italian sausage with no wastage.

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

Mmmmm sounds yummy! Tyfs

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

burgers

MrsLondon
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Rachael-Dawn
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Tyfs!

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Chicken Kielbasa
1 Kielbasa
1.5 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
1/2 med. brown/yellow onion
garlic, to taste
tarragon, to taste
oil, as needed (about 2-3 oz)
1 pt, chicken stock
flour, as needed
Precook chicken. Mince garlic, onion and tarragon. Slice kielbasa and cube chicken. Put oil in bottom of pan and add garlic; brown. Add kielbasa; brown. Add onion cook about 5 min. Add chicken stock, reserving 4-5 oz, and cook for 20 minutes. Add more garlic, to taste. Add tarragon to taste (about 1-2 TBSP). Add flour to the reserved chicken stock and stir. Add to the pan. Boil until thick. Add chicken. Serve over Rice.

White Chicken Enchiladas
3.5 lbs cooked chicken breast halves, cut into bite size cubes
1 4oz can green Ortega chilies
2 c. sour cream
2 10.75oz cans Cream of chicken soup
1 4oz can sliced olives
1 lb Monterey jack cheese
12 10or12 in flour tortillas
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 9-13 in pan. Cube the chicken. Mix together chilies, sour cream, soup, olives, and 1/2 of cheese. Divide mixture in 1/2. To 1/2 of the mix add the chicken. Spoon chicken and mix into center of each tortilla and roll up placing in pan. Cover enchiladas with the other 1/2 of the mix and add remaining on top.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes until heated through
if frozen about 1hr 15 min in preheated 350 degree oven.
If the cheese on the enchiladas is browning to fast, cover with tin foil that has been sprayed with cooking oil on the downward facing side.
Serve with refried beans.

Mom's Lasagna (Makes 2 pans)
20 servings
1 lb hot or mild bulk Italian Sausage
2 jars Any Spaghetti or Alfredo Sauce
2 lbs mozzarella cheese
1 c ricotta
1 c cottage cheese
1 egg
1tsp Italian seasoning
1 can sliced black olives
1/2c parmesan cheese
12 no boil lasagna noodles (for 2 layers. Increase by 12 for every 2 layers desired. so for 4 layers use 24 and so on.
1 c shredded zucchini, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Brown Italian sausage and crumble. Combine sausage and sauce. Heat through. *Combine mozzarella cheese with shredded zucchini. Combine cottage cheese, egg, ricotta cheese and seasons. Place in both 9x13 pans a thin layer of sauce and sausage mix. Then place a single layer of no boil noodles. On top of the noodles spread a layer of the ricotta mix. Top that with a thin layer of mozzarella. Repeat for the desired number of layers of noodles. (If more than 2-3 noodle layers then increase recipe to adjust for desired number) When you have achieved the desired number of layers top the lasagna with the remaining mozzarella cheese, olives and parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the lasagna is baked through. It takes about 1 hour 15 minutes if baking straight from the freezer. If cheese is browning too fast you made need to cover with tinfoil sprayed with oil and placed oil side down on pan.
*Note that the zucchini can be added to the sausage and sauce mixture instead of to the mozzarella cheese.
Serve with a green salad and French or Garlic Bread.

Zuppa Toscana
1 lb Italian sausage (I like hot but my family prefers mild sausage sometimes I do ½ and ½) 
2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups kale, chopped
16oz chicken stock
1 quart water
1 can evaporated milk
Directions:
Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces. Brown sausage in your soup pot. Set to side and place onions, potatoes, and garlic in pot. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are nearly done. Add chicken broth, sausage and water to pot and stir. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until potatoes are finished. Turn to low heat. Add kale and cream. Heat through and serve approximately another 30 minutes. Serves at least 5-6.

Here are the recipes. These are all favorites in my house and the lasagna and enchiladas make extra. I think the lasagna cost between 25-30 to make but we get 3-4 meals out of it for 5 (and my kids eat like pro athletes!). The white chicken enchiladas costs about 20 dollars (both this and the lasagna cook well from frozen) and can spread to 3-4 meals. And the chicken kielbasa (my mom made the recipe up) is wonderful (we usually get two meals from this when served with rice, vegetables and a salad). The zuppa toscana is really easy and costs about 15 bucks to make and tastes amazingly like Olive Gardens. It goes really well with salad or the lasagna or any pasta.

Forgot to mention that I  add a single layer of uncooked sliced mushrooms to the lasagna and that if you make both the zuppa toscana and the lasagna then you can 1/2 and 1/2 the mild and spicy italian sausage with no wastage.

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

Mmmmm sounds yummy! Tyfs

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

burgers

Rachael-Dawn
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Tyfs!

Quoting MrsLondon:

Angel hair pasta with shrimp and lemon sauce

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/angel_hair_pasta_with_shrimp_and_lemon_cream_sauce/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)