Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In need of healthy and cheap recipes

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 9 Replies
My last pregnancy I ate everything and ended up gaining 75 lbs :/ so this time around I'm looking for healthy recipes for meals and snacks. Any ideas?
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Eat fruit as your snacks, can't really gain weight eating fruit.

Kimberly954
by Kim on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I just eat what i want when i am pregnant. LOL But my first pregnany i had to watch my sugar intake so i had to do protein and carbs....like cheese stick and graham crackers with a small apple juice, or peanut butter on toast, or cottage cheese and stawberries, yogurt and an english muffin

october2013
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

buy a rotisary chicken

tortilla

avacado

tomatoe 

onion

and a lite sauce of choice and you have a cheap healthy taco very quick too

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I liked to have raw veggies on hand when pregnant, I also snacked on those first so when a really bad craving came on I would still eat less of the unhealthy food.

gymgirl
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

for snacks- apple and cottage cheese is a great one. very healthy and cottage cheese has casein and helps you stay full. also light string cheese w/an orange-greek yogurt with nuts.peanut butter on rice cracker.also air popped popcorn is a good snack to.

As for meals. I eat lost of egg whites for breakfast. whole wheat toast and turkey sausage and turkey bacon r good. And oatmeal is great w/some cinnamon on it.

Lunch's you could do like tuna sandwich if u like fish. I wish i did. so healthy for us. Also, leafy green chicken salads r good. turkey sandwich.

Dinners: If u like fish go for it. great stuff! Excellent source of protein and omegas. One of my favorite meals is grilled chicken with a sweet potato ad steamed asparagus.

Healthy and Fit Forever http://cafemom.com/group/118269

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Plan your meals and snacks. then make a list for the grocery store. Eat before you go shopping, that way you'll be less likely to buy junk. If you only have healthy food in the house, that's what you'll eat. Lots of fresh or frozen veggies and fruits, lean meats and whole grain breads and cereals will keep you from getting hungry. Smoothies are great for breakfast-greek yogurt + fresh or frozen fruit + milk or juice +ice if needed. Delicious. I also add fresh spinach-I swear you can't taste it. Every time I make one for someone, they are amazed. A salad or broth-based soups or a wrap are good choices for lunch. Dinner use lean meats, a salad and veggies, no sauces is best.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a great side dish

Minty Peas & Onions

1 large onion, cut into 1/2”wedges
½ cup chopped red pepper
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 Pkg (16oz.) frozen peas
1 Tablespoon minced fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried mint

In a large skillet, saute onions and red pepper in oil until onions just begin to soften . Add peas. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until heated through. Stil in mint and cook for 1 minute.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Chicken & Rice with Tomatoes

2 chicken leg quarters, bone in (or 2-3 chicken breasts, bone-in)
1 onion, chopped
2-3 celery ribs, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup rice
1 Bay leaf
1 tablespoonspoon Caldo de Tomate( or chicken bouillon)
1 teaspoon Lawrey's seasoned salt
Fresh ground pepper

Just barely cover chicken with water in stock pot. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook till tender. Remove chicken to cool. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onions, celery, carrots and green pepper in a little oil. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add tomato mixture to chicken broth. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove from bones and return chicken to broth. Bring to a simmer. Add rice and seasonings. Cook till rice is tender.

D-Town
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM

For something sweet and simple take a tortilla. Brush it with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 350° for about 10 min.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)