Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Baking Question (Torta Di Cappuccino)

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have decided to make Rachel Allen's Torta Di Cappuccino today. I'm heading out to a gourmet chocolate vendor to get some really high-quality ingredients.

The problem is that I've been reading some reviews of it, and many people seem to have this issue that the torte comes out runny or not set correctly. Here is the recipe. How can I make sure this doesn't happen? (I admit there are several liquid-based ingredients for a 9-inch pan.)

Thoughts? Any red flags? Thanks! (Also, I have no idea what temp to set the oven to. Any advice?)

Torta di Cappuccino

Ingredients

Base

• 375g (15ozs) dark chocolate whole-wheat biscuits (digestives)
  • 3 tablespoons cream
  • 75g (3ozs) melted butter

Topping

• 500g (1lb 2ozs) mascarpone
  • 140g (5½ozs) caster sugar
  • 3 medium eggs
  • 100g (4ozs) chocolate (at least 55% cocoa solids, 75% chocolate)
  • 125ml (4fl ozs) espresso or really strong coffee
  • 3 tablespoons Kalua, Tia Maria (coffee liquer)

Method

1. Crumble the biscuits, mix with the cream and butter and spread into a tin.  Chill in the fridge while you make the topping.
  2. Beat the mascarpone and sugar very well until soft and light.  Break the eggs into a small bowl and whisk with a fork adding to the cheese mixture bit by bit beating very well between each addition.  Melt the chocolate over a saucepan of simmering water, add the alcohol and the coffee and blend well.  Add to the cheese and egg mixture and mix well.
  3. Pour over the biscuit base and bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until the centre is set, it shouldn’t jiggle anymore!

by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kimberly954
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM

hm interesting. I suck at baking so dont ask me!

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I agree, it sounds like a lot of wet ingredients. I'd just be careful to be very precise about measurements and methods (like adding the eggs slowly). The filling sounds similar to a cheesecake filling, but with added chocolate, espresso and coffee liqueur.
Kimberly954
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

How did it turn out?

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

No idea but good luck!

KamsOne
by Jen on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Sounds kinda fancy!!  lol.  I have no idea.  I'm not a great baker.  Hope it comes out good for you.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Did it turn out well.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:57 PM

i have no idea. I know i make a chocolate cake that is super runny and it turns out fine everytime. The key is to let it bake the full time or it will be runny. 

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

It was awesome... just as Rachel said it would be!

Quoting periwinkle163:

Did it turn out well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)